We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourest cards etc.

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
511 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tourest cards etc.

Whats the score on getting into the Dom Rep from the UK as regards visas.

I have read that you just need a tourist card which can be bought in the airport once you get there, but that there are big queues. Is this correct? Anybody got any tips on this?

Also, we are planning to take the good old US$, but what about local currency. Should we take much of that? Where is it best to use US and where local.

Any info. gladly received.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourest cards etc.

Sorry I don't know anything about the tourist card, mine was taken care of by the travel agency I booked through (part of the package).

The USD is widely accepted in the DR. $1.00 bills are the best for tipping so take a bunch with you. You can exchange for local currency in the hotel but the exchange rate would be better at a bank in town (in the DR). You probably don't need that much as you can use your credit card to pay for excursions if you choose the ones through the tour operator. Hope this helps a bit........and I hope I got my facts right.

Toronto
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourest cards etc.

use american money,,,dont buy pesos,,they are yours to keep

London UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourest cards etc.

Hi Shelet,

You can get the tourist cards from the DR embassy London, ��8 each by post, they only accept postal orders with a SAE, got ours back in three days.

OR

$10 dollars at the airport, at pop it seemed a bit of a farce (May04) they where just stamping them with out them being filled in. You will need to keep the bottom half to use to get out on return another $20each.

Hope this helps a little.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
697 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourest cards etc.

and one other thing...you need $20.00 (USD) each departure tax....this must be cash and it must be in USD....