We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

I would like to go to 2-3 cities within Dominican Republic in a period of 1 week. So I am thinking stay 3 days in Puerto Plata, then 2 days in Punta Cana and then 2 days in Santo Domingo. I am open for other suggestion on cities within DR.

My question is have you heard of anybody do this or do people just go to 1 city and spend time there. Also, is it expensive to go from 1 city to the other?

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

I personaly have never done a hop like that but I believe that one week wouldn't be enough time. If you are in Puerto Plata you could easily do PP, then Sousua and Caberete. All a little bit diff towns and still give you enough time to wander around.

Mike :)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,728 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

Not doable in a week. It is over a 7.5 hour drive from PP to PC alone. From PP to SD is 4+ hours and from SD to PC is 3 hours or more. There is also no direct transport. You would have to take a Bus to SD and then another to the PC area then a cab. This will take 10-12 hours if you can get connections for the same day.

Maybe a trip to PC and SD might work. Or PP and SD may work as well for you

BObK

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

If you are interested in visiting Dominican cities then my advice would be to miss out Punta Cana. Punta Cana is basically a strip of All Inclusive hotels at the very eastern end of the country. Only started in the mid 80's.

For a week then I would suggest: start in Santo Domingo (2 nights) - main area Zona Colonial, then on to Santiago (second city and interesting historic centre (1 night) then on to Puerto Plata ( again historic centre). You could then carry on to Sousa if you wanted to visit a beach. Sousa to Santo Domingo takes about 4.5 hours by bus. Worth getting a guide book such as Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for more info on otehr places.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

How about Puerto Plata to Santiago? Have a night there, visit 'The Monument to the Heroes of the Restoration', then carry on to Santo Domingo. A couple of nights there, then return to the north coast. Caribe Tours buses are regular and reliable. about RD$300 (pesos) from PoP to SD one way, so quite reasonable. That would give you a cheap & easy tour and you'd see three very contrasting cities as well as the countryside in between.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

Good point - This is the Caribe Tour web site. They have many routes centered on Santo Domingo. There are many buses between Santo Domingo - Santiago and Puetro Plata.

http://caribetours.com.do/site/portada/

Have said that Metro Tour has IMO slightly better and faster joruney times (stop less) between SD - Santiago and Puetro Plata/Sosua

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

I think that (personally speaking) that Santo Domingo and Santiago are somewhat repetitive in appeal...both being large cities, thus one or the other would suffice.

One might consider a trip to the Capital, then a return to Samana and back to Puerto Plata. This would be a circle and a diverse view of the country and it's people. It can be done by bus.

Cheers

PCMike

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

I see your point PCMike but I would say the "historic centres" of both are sufficiently interesting and different to make it worthwhile visiting both. Santiago is IMO a frendlier place than Santo Domingo. In addition the Cibanos would get very upset if they were missed out! - they would probably say miss out Santo Domingo - which is another option!

You could also consider Constanza - 2000m up in the mountains (and very cold at night). Views from the road from here to San Jose de Ocoa are spectacular.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

If you're thinking Constanza then Jarabacoa would be a good bet.

Puerto Plata/Sosua, Jarabacoa and Santiago or Santo Domingo. Much more manageable on the travelling.

Punta Cana too far and nothing to see but resorts.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

"One might consider a trip to the Capital, then a return to Samana and back to Puerto Plata. This would be a circle and a diverse view of the country and it's people. It can be done by bus."

Mike, have things changed? Last time I looked in to it, getting from Cabarete to Samana/return was not possible by bus, with Metro & Caribe Tours not running along the north coast. I'll be pleased if this is now possible.

10. Re: Destination hopping within Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:18