We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas weather

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas weather

Cannot decide where to go Puerto Plata or Varadero.

Could you advise where wetaher is better on Xmas?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas weather

Hi Gibot,

Thats a million dollar question what the weather is going to be like at Xmas especially with climate change the world over, weather is so unpredictable your weather for your trip could be totally different to what has happened other years......but December is in the middle of the rainy season..........2009 was a particularly wet Xmas time but here is BobK's weather thread to the run up to Xmas 2010.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k216…

Angie.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 21:09
Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas weather

hey Angie ........i've got to say i have never seen it rain in the DR round xmas, new year and Jan .....always seems to rain if we go in August thou lol

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas weather

I've been to every Xmas the last 15 years or so in the DR and had every type of weather possible. Impossible to predict in October what it will be.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas weather

anna-maria,

Well in 2009 they had terrible flooding in Dec/Jan time, it was even well reported on our UK television stations, not a pretty sight I can tell you.

Angie.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas weather

I completely understand that weather impossible to predict... I just want to know generally where is warmer in December-Januar Puerto Plata or Varadero?

P.S. I also don't know what wether will be in Toronto...but I know that usually in Toronto warmer that for example in North Bay :)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas weather

You most likely will have lots more sun then rain, but showers are a possibility. My mom comes for a visit every Xmas and we have always spent lots of time outdoors in the sun. So pack the sunsceen and hope fully you will use it all.

I can promise you NO SNOW!.. Our old house in Colorado is expecing 2-3 feet of the white stuff today!

BObK

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas weather

Varadero is pretty far north in comparison to Puerto Plata. My husband and I were in Varadero for Christmas last year and we had highs of 23-25C and lows of 10C. We were warned by our travel agent that it wasn't the warmest place to go, but we knew it would be warmer than Southern Ontario. That said, the breeze was cool, and there had been a cold spell just before we got there, so the pools and ocean were chilly and we didn't really swim. It was probably the first vacation where I didn't seek shade constantly.

This year we are headed to Punta Cana and hoping for good weather, but even if we don't get it we still won't have to drive anywhere on Christmas Day.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas weather

You will be able to see from these two links the difference with the Varadero climate for December how much cooler it is there compared to Puerto Plata.

Varadero.

tutiempo.net/en/…782290.htm

Puerto Plata.

tutiempo.net/en/…784570.htm

Angie.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas weather

thanks guys/gals! :)