We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Cabarete

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Windsor...
2 posts
Save Topic
Visit Cabarete

We are staying at the Gran Ventana in January and would like to go to the beach at Cabarete and possibly visit Sosua. I was thinking of renting a car (I have driven in many countries) but don't like what I read. Are there excursions to Cabarete or do you think renting a car is OK. Appreciate any advice.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Cabarete

Renting a car is a good idea if you are an experienced and defensive driver.

The road between Playa Dorado and Sosua/Cabarete is pretty good. Just

watch out for all the motorcycles. Not recommended to drive at night.

There are many rental agencies at the airport and an Avis close to Playa

Dorado complex in Puerto Plata. Make sure you get good insurance.

Another option is a taxi (kind of expensive). Better to try public transportation-

Walk out to the main road and flag down a publico (small car) going to Sosua.

Costs @50 pesos or less. There are other publicos that go from Sosua on to

Cabarete (25 pesos). You will be squished in a small car, 4 in back, 2 in front.

A dominican adventure but cheap transport.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Cabarete

I'd agree that if you have wide over-seas experience, then you should be okay. As already said, drive defensively (and slowly). Be aware that if you are in a serious accident you will be locked up until 'proven innocent'. That said, if your experience is in places like Europe, you may still be in for a shock!

The gua-gua is an alternative to a publico. They are overloaded minibuses. They only run during daylight periods but they are a good way to travel (although sometimes a bit scary!) I wouldn't want to travel after dark anyway.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Cabarete

I agree wtih all the above and need to add:

1. Rentals are very expensive and you may find it actually cheaper to hire a cab for a round trip fare (about $50 RT) for a couple of days rather then renting.

2. If you are going to rent DO NOT rely on your "home" insurance or your credit card insurance. Get the full local coverage and make sure it includes the "Casa de Conductore" clause. If you are in a serious accident all parties go to jail until it can be figured out. This can take a couple of days. With the Casa de Conductore you are placed under house arrest at a hotel in Santiago and there are folks at the hotel that will help you get things figured out.

Unless you plan on extensive touring you will be better off with cabs or public transportation.

Let me tell you driving in Milan Italy during rush hour was a breeze compared to here sometimes

BObK

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Cabarete

If you take a publico to Sosua, establish the price before you get in. And have the exact change. There is a big flea market at the beach, bring your bathing suit and a towel. I always go with my bathing suit under my clothes, and it dries very fast while shopping and walking around.

If more than 50 pesos per person, it's not a publico it's a taxi. Taxi from Playa Dorada is aprox. $25US return, it's quite expensive.

If you take the gua gua (old minivan) it's also 50 pesos for the tourist and you pay on your way out. Get down at the Texaco in Sosua. You can then go to Cabarete, it's a 10 min. ride in the publico, and a little more in the gua gua because of all the stops.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 13:15
5. Re: Visit Cabarete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 05:19