We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Trevose...
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Hello,

I will be going to Lifestyle Tropical Resort on 12/15, and was wondering about taking a bus from the resort to Puerto Plata. How easy and safe are they from the resort. Do the buses go to Sousa? Or Caliente? I want to explore the country a little, but want to feel safe. Is it better to take a cab? Or maybe hire a cab to drive us around for the day? There are two of us. Any must see things?

Would like to do a tour with James. Will I need to go into town to arrange this, since Lifestyle doesn't allow him onsite, or can he meet us outside of the resort? Can I arrange it when I get go downtown, or do I have to do it ahead of time?

Can't wait...hoping that the rain stays away, but the weather reports don't look promising!

Trevose...
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Well, I mangled up the town names...I meant Sosua and Cabarete.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Yes you can take a gua gua from Lifestyle Tropical but you will have to change in Puerto Plata at Park Central and get on another to take you onto Sosua and Cabarete.

We hired a taxi for the day for $100 did a trip to Santiago independently, cigar tours to the E. Leon Jimenes Marlboro cigarette, Aurora cigar factory and Centro Leon cigar factory .Also visited the Tomas Morel Folk Art Museum with its collection of winning masks from the Santiago Carnival.We also went to see Monumento de la Restauracion - It was built by Trujillo in his honor, but later dedicated to those who lost their life in the War of Restoration. From the top of the monument the views of Santiago are absolutely brilliant and awe inspiring.

For a half day or little longer you have the cable car trip up Mt. Isabele de Torres will be a nice trip for you both if you have a head for heights stunning views over Puerto Plata but this trip must be taken in the morning due to clouds coming in about lunch time and of course all those stunning views disappear, then you could do the city tour to visit the Ambar Museum, Fort San Filipe, Central Park and the Cathedral.Haitian village if you wish to buy any art or carvings at much cheaper prices then any where else,and then take a ride along the Malceon full of restaurants and bars along the waterfront.

1/2 day cost roughly $US45/50 for a tour with a full day in the range of about $US100.I would contact Elias. He has a newer minivan and very reliable, reasonably priced, and speaks perfect English,contact Elias on his cell phone # 809-842-5557

Concerning any trips with James I dont know if he has set anything up yet about being able to help people out from Lifestyles but I would contact him direct via email at mercury200efi@yahoo.com.

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

As usual Angie is right on money. Use Elias for day or 1/2 day tours.

Do use the gua-guas if you are adventurous. They are safe and an experience. You will have up to 12 fellow passangers in a small mini van. The cost from Lifestyles to PP should be about 30 pesos and then from PP to Sosua 40-50 peosos. Also note they do stop running about 8pm or so.

If spending the day in Sosua or Cabaret (both good ideas) make arrangements with a cab at the hotel for a round trip fare and then pay him when he comes back for you.

Enjoy

BObK

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

We stayed at Lifestyles in April. We went to the gate and talked to one of the men at the gates. He got us an air conditioned mini van with a driver going to Puerto Plata for some shopping for $15. The driver was willing to take us to all the sites in Puerto Plata for the same $15 but we wanted to get back to the resort. You should barter theoriginal price- He first offered us a van and driver for $40. We tipped the driver and bought him a cold drink- He waited for us while we shopped- It was a great experience!

5. Re: Bus to Puerto Plata from Lifestyle Tropical Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:21