We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake Dominican Republic

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake Dominican Republic

Just found this on my Facebook from Denise Zdena who lives in Bayahibe and is one of my friends on facebook. Just to reiterate no need to panic.

You might have heard about the earthquake in Dominican republic this morning, so before there is a panic or false info here is the report:

"A moderate tremor of 5.3 magnitude has rattled the entire Dominican Republic, at around 5:32am local time, whose epicenter was located 17 kilometers south-southeast of the city of San Jose de Ocoa, at a depth of 10 kilometers. ... Distances 55 km (34 miles) W of SANTO DOMINGO, 75 km (46 miles) ENE of Barahona."

So as you can see, it was close to Haitian border, there was nothing felt in our area, because we are very far. If you have a family or friends vacationing here, or if you are getting ready for your vacation in our area, you don't have to worry about anything :)

Roy

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake Dominican Republic

Yes Roy read about it this morning.....nothing to worry or panic about, its also been discussed on the Punta Cana forum.........as BobK says no doubt many did'nt even feel the tremors.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k504…

Angie.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake Dominican Republic

We felt it a lot in Santo Domingo, and there was a lot of panic.

The epicenter was allocated at san Jose de Ocoa, 35 miles away from santo Domingo, and 6 miles depth.

there has been a few replicas, and many buildings were cracked ther, but no mayror damage, and thank God there were no human lifes lost.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake Dominican Republic

Hola Monica,

Not surprised you felt it in Santo Domingo, 35 miles away is not that far.........glad to hear everyone is safe and no major damage.........take care.

Angie.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake Dominican Republic

I didn't feel it out here in Bavaro.

5. Re: Earthquake Dominican Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:19