We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

I know now it is not recommended to drive a scooter or motorbike on the highway to go to Cabarete but what about renting one to

drive within Puerto Plata to do some discovering.

Is there a place that rents scooters or motorbike in Puerto Plata?

I know there is one in Cabarete.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

Its not recommended to drive a scooter or motorbike on any road in the DR full stop...........you really are after a death wish are'nt you.

Angie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

Jeff J,

I have been riding large motorcycles for over 10 years, usually hire a scooter (125) when away and my plan was to do the same in DR last year, however, on the journey from the airport to hotel I decided rather swiftly that it would be a cold cold day in hell before I drove one in peurto plata!!! I have driven in some countries where the driving is viewed as "dangerous", but I have never seen anything like what I seen that day. Take Angie's advice and DON'T. Seriously, don't!! Lol

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,728 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

Slightly different question then before. Same response. DON"T do it!!!

BObK

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

Definitely would recommend not to do it..

We rented ATVs though Scuba Caribe on the hotel premises (Riu) and the roads and paths were terrible. We had a hard time maintaining control of the ATVs. We did end up in a terrible accident (I did) - the guide had no first aid kit - we had to wait for over 2 hours for help to arrive. I didn't have broken bones, but torn ligaments and severe muscle trauma (and I wasn't even at fault - didn't cause it).

Even when going through a service offered on hotel premises, the hotel would not take responsibility for safety standards and actually told us they 'don't care'. I dread to think what services outside the hotel would be.

So don't do it.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

<<Even when going through a service offered on hotel premises, the hotel would not take responsibility for safety standards and actually told us they 'don't care'. I dread to think what services outside the hotel would be.>>

Thats why you should have travel/medical insurance when deciding on doing extreme sports and make sure that you are covered or get covered if the sport your intending to do is not on the list provided by your insurance provider.

Angie.

hamilton
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

I'm gonna have to pass this message along to my bf. He is dead set on renting a scooter or a seadoo..... I dont want to get injured over there, because I'm sure their medical skills arent as advanced as in canada. I hope he comes to his senses or he'll be going alone...lol

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

<<Thats why you should have travel/medical insurance when deciding on doing extreme sports and make sure that you are covered or get covered if the sport your intending to do is not on the list provided by your insurance provider.>>

Thankfully, I had excellent medical insurance and was taken to the 'best' private hospital in Puerto Plata. The hospital was not bad, but I would rather have avoided it.

It was misrepresentation of information that was the issue - the brochure said it was a safe ride on the beach. Was anything but that.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

RestJunkie,

<<the brochure said it was a safe ride on the beach. Was anything but that.>>

Totally agree with you about misrepresentation in your case as no way do the ATV's just drive along the beach, same as the Quad Bike excursion........where this starts by driving up the mountain pathway but over huge boulders in the process.........a girl infront of me ended in a gully and was rescued by one of the guides, luckily she was only bruised but shaken and had the rest of the trip on the back of one of the guides Quad Bike..........these tours are not for the faint hearted..........but all correct info should be given to the people intending on buying them.

Angie.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 17:03
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

thanx for the advices. I guess I will be using taxis.

Central MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places that rent a scooter or motorbike in puerto plata

It's better to take pictures of a guy on a scooter with his wife on the seat behind him, with her baby on her hip and groceries on the other, weaving through thick city traffic, than to see them pop suddenly into your field of vision 5 feet away, while you are on yours.

However, if you decide to rent, will you let me know when and where, so I can come watch?