We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

We are planning a trip on April 7th-14 and were looking between 3 resorts...the Riu...Iberostar and the Gran Ventana...Our main Concern is beaches and food choices..we love to snorkel and would like to be able to snorkel at hotel. The Iberostar is a little more expensive so we were Leaning towards the Ventana..would love input..

Thanks

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Iberostar seems to get more love here. Angie will let you know soon. She knows best.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,831 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Already given my input on the three resort options on another thread :)

Angie.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
797 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Everything I have read is very positive about Gran Ventana, thus we're going there at the end of March. I have been to the RIU Bachata, didn't like the beach, the ocean floor was too sharp for us.

halifax
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

IMHO....the GV is a great resort for , how can I say this ?? :) middle age or older people maybe ??.........lol, theres not a lot of night life and they pretty well rool her up at midnifht.....which is fine with me!! cause I m done by then too, maybe a night cap on the patio, a final cigar and off to dream land:) It is IMO a wonderful place to do nothing!! The food again IMO is some of the best I have had in 10+ trips to the DR and Cuba...I promise you will not go hungry! are there birds and flys yes ...everything is open to the air except a couple ala carts. It s an older resort, well looked after. I'm there in 9 days, 10 hours and 14 minutes :) not that I m counting, my first stop......beach bar for lunch, chicken wings and fries please, red wine ........anyone have light for my Cohiba :) YESSSSSSSSSssssssssssssss!

Ontario
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

LOL halifax 69 Can't comment on Iberstar. Beaches superior at GV. Food at both Rui and GV good for sure and service at both good. If you like long beach walks, the Ruis arent for you. But otherwise, but Rui and GV great resorts.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
911 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

I`ve been on the Riu property but I haven`t stayed there. They look nice enough though. I`ve never stayed at the Iberostar but have a friend who was there in Dec. and she says it`s the best resort in the area, and she has stayed at most of them over the years! We stayed at the Gran Ventana last year over the Easter Holiday and I would go back in a minute! Our rooms were great, the service was good and the food was probably the best of all the resorts I`ve been too, especially the burgers at the beach!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

we were at the Gran Ventana last February and are going back this March! we loved it! It was excellent in all categories!

to answer your questions, the Gran Ventana has the best beach of all the resorts in my humble opinion. I went for long long walks each way every day and saw all the beaches of all the resorts and unquestionable the beach was the best!

as for snorkeling out front, it was awesome! there are several areas where we spent hours and saw incredible coloured schools of fish! we would take a ripe banana and mash it in the skin and then when we were in the water with our mask and snorkel and saw fish we would open the banana and send some of it out into the water and the fish would swarm around us. some of the fish would actually eat out of hands! if you have a underwater camera, definitely take it!

Jo

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Thank you all For your input...I think we are going to go with the Gran Ventana..can't wait for or vacation!!!

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

Which room or building would be best to stay in...

Do you book your excursions in the hotel or did ou use an outside source

halifax
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to Peurto Plata...resort questions

we stayed in the catalina bldg top floor over looking the pool!! great spot for prople watching :) and beautiful at night! Can't help with the day trips as we only used the horse and buggy and a cab, walk towards the plaza and they'll find you :) My son and his wife did the dune buggys and booked at the GV and had a wonderful muddy time!! We'll be there ONE WEEK from today and have asked for the same room :)