We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with Thomson

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with Thomson

Has anyone recently used Thomson to fly from Gatwick to POP? If so what was your opinion of the flight, service, entertainment etc?

I have upgraded to the "premier cabin" has anyone else used this and what did you think. Also what films were shown?

Thanks for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with Thomson

We went in Late Feb and had Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on the way out and Wallace and Grommit and another about a footballer which I can't remember the name of on the way back. We also got an episode of the Simpsons, something like The Dinnerladies, a documentary, a Creature Comforts cartoon, an episode of Friends and a few other bits like that. We didn't fly Premier, but I think they get seat back TV screens and the seats are 3 across, recline further and have a bit more legroom.

No matter what, its a long 10 hours out and a quicker 8 hour night flight home to the cold. Service is OK for a cattle truck system, but not the most memorable part of the holiday.

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with Thomson

Thanks Shelet, The only reason we upgraded was for the extra leg room, partner is 6ft 3 so can hardly fit in the normal seats.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with Thomson

Hi Lynda,

We flew with Thomsons last year to Goa, I have travelled on a lot worse planes and thought Thomsons flight was pretty good, including the food. My parents travelled with us, but they upgraded to premier class and they did not have seat back tv's, they were hand held. I am not sure that Thomsons do have seat back tv's yet.

We will be flying to Dom Rep with Airtours, I have never flown with them before.

Pauline

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with Thomson

Hi Pauline,

Are Airtours MyTravel planes? I have never used airtours before so not sure who they use?

Will see you there!

Lynda

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with Thomson

Yes we did upgrade with Thompson to fly to Dom Rep in May 2004.

To say that the 4 of us were not impressed with the seating would be an under-statement!!!

There was no separate cabin area, just half a curtain between the people in the last row of the "upgrade" and the normal cabin. They we repeatedly disturbed by the people behind. On the way back there were 2 children sat in the "upgraded" cabin as there was not enough room in the normal cabin for them and they were separated from their parents. In the end we had to request that a parent came and sat in one seat with one child .

The staff were fine and kept us well supplied with drink etc. on the flight. entertainment was ok.

The seats were just slightly larger than the normal seats but hardly any padding on them. Back support was not brilliant no real lumbar support and I suffer with a back.

Have you ever upgraded with First Choice or Thomas Cook? or flown with BA? If so, you will certainly see that the so called upgrade with Thompson is not a patch on these airlines. With all the other airlines you also have an upgraded baggage allowance of 30 kilos- not with Thompson, something we were not made aware of on booking and did not realise until the tickets arrived. The only advantage to an upgrade with Thomnpson is that there is slightly more leg room and it is a bit quieter and we could not face being in a large cabin, done all that when the children were small.

We are infact going to Dom Rep this year and much to my better judgement, the only flight was with Thompson and they were the only people to do the hotel that we wanted to stay in. I was persuded by my fellow travellers that we would sacrifice the flight to get the hotel we wanted. We have upgraded, as we always do, as we are all 50 something but I am not expecting anything better out of this flight than we got 2 yers ago. Same policy regarding the luggage allowance and we have had to pay to get an extra 5 lios each. They also changed our flight by 3 days!!!! no compensation either as it was outside the 56 days even though we booked the flight in July 2005 because it suited all of us now we all have to take 2 dys extra holiday!!

Hope that you have a better experience than us and I would be interested to hear from you re your experience.

Regards

Sharon

Lincs, England
Level Contributor
179 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with Thomson

We flew to Punta Cana last May with Thomson, paid for the upgrade and what a waste of money it was. There was seat back TV but you still don't get much choice.

The service was awful, hardly any drinks left on the return flight!

We are going to POP this June and have booked an upgraded flight with Thomas Cook, has anyone flown recently long haul premum with Thomas Cook?

Enjoy your holiday

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with Thomson

we flew with Thomson to DR last year, on the way there it was as usual cramped and uncomfortable. Somehow this never seems too bad with something to look forward too. The story on the way back was totally different....we were given the seats just behind the central toilets and exit doors. These seats had the tables stored in the fixed arms, it was like sitting in a very uncomfortable metal box. The cold blast coming through the exit doors was unbelievable, I did complain to the steward that we were all freezing and he said "yes those seats are always cold!" not exactly helpful. Nine hours and we were like blocks of ice.

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
843 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with Thomson

LittleMissNaughty - Yes Airtours use MYTravel planes. We flew with them to Jamaica in January - was well impressed they use the new Airbus with TV's in the back of seats, downstairs loos etc. Really nice legroom too - thats just on the standard seats. I spoke to an air hostess and she said they now use these planes on all long haul flights.

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with Thomson

Thanks smilerdownes, we are flying with MyTravel in October to Jamaica for the first time, we have also up-graded the seats on the plane so glad you were impressed as loads of people have previously complained about MyTravel flights!

Lynda

uk
Level Contributor
789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with Thomson

hi i am travelling to jamaica too but have just learnt very economy seats unless we pay 200 pound each to upgrade!!no chance as there is 5 of us lol wot r the economy seats like do u not get bk seat tvs etc?