We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

A friend and I are looking at going to Puerto Plata for 2 weeks March 2013.

We have previously stayed at G.P. Bavaro in Punta Cana (got giardia and cryptosporidium), Riu Tequila in Playa Del Carmen, Grand Palladium and Bahia Principe Coba in Akumal.

Would like a resort that provides wine in bottles (versus milk jugs), decent buffet food, choice of a la cartes, and a clean room.

I don't see the Bahia listed in Hotel Reviews of Puerto Plata, and am trying to figure out where the resorts are located in comparison to Sosua and Puerto Plata.

We aren't high end folks - just a couple of 50+ women that like to snorkel (any resorts that we can snorkel at?).

Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

Edited: 09 September 2012, 17:53
Alberta
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Bahia is listed in the resorts under Rio San Juan. This resort is approx. 1-11/2 hours from the Puerto Plata airport.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

I have been through all the Hotel listings in Puerto Plata on Trip Advisor.

Nothing listed under Rio or Bahia.

It also isn't currently offered as an option with the various travel sites (itravel2000, selloffvacations, etc.)

Perhaps it is closed for renovations?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Try....Gran Bahia Principe Rio San Juan or Bahia Principe San Juan....it's listed:

Sell off Vacations is showing flights for MAR. 14, 2013 with:

Nolitours 7 Days $819+ taxes $392

Transat Holidays 7 Days

Golden Club Room $859+ taxes $392

WestJet Vacations 7 Days $1149+ taxes $201

Sunquest Vacations 7 Days $1229+ taxes $0

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Thanks mra1 - I found it for March.

What I was looking for was current reviews on T.A., which there aren't any.

Can't find any info on the Bahia's web site to say that it's currently closed or being renovated.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Gran Bahia is in Rio San Juan a long way from Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata. Have you looked into the Iberostar in Puerto Plata? Very nice.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Do stop at duty free on your way in and buy wine that you would like to have at the resort, because the stuff they offer isn't much more than a poor imitation. It's just too difficult for food management to offer better quality drink when they have to daily feed the equivalent of an army, plus, the heat and humidity plays havoc with a good wine. Just be prepared, and enjoy a glass of the better stuff on your patio.

Have a great holiday.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

Any thoughts on the Rius or the Barcelo?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

moira... I find nothing wrong with the Riu's, although other people don't like the fact that it is a little further out from town of Puerta Plata. Actually, I think it's only about 10 or 15 minutes the other side of POP & about 35-40minutes (depending on traffic) from the Airport.

I like the Riu's for the fact that you can "Stay at 1 & Play at 2". You have the use of all the facilities of the Merengue & the Bachata, a good size beach area, excellent walking paths to buildings, beautiful grounds/gardens, great staff & great food! The only requirement is that you eat your evening meal at the resort you are staying at....breakfast, lunch & snacks can be eaten at any of the other restaurants. In the 3 x's that we've been at the Merengue & Bachata we've not had a single problem. Infact, we've just decided to do a "spur of the moment" trip & are heading to the Bachata in November...this will be our 4th trip to the Riu's.

Haven't stayed at the Barcelo, so I can't comment...sorry.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

stayed at the barcelo last november in the premium club section. the resort is ok. premium club is the way to go. have also stayed at the iberostar,,,very nice, Wine was better than at Barcelo. At the Barcelo Food was good in the premium restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Mexican, Oriental, Brazilian and Pizzaria were greatg for a la cartes. Food in the buffet was good too...but very much local fare. Iberostar had better food and drinks overall, but the disco at the Barcelo much better. Brass band in courtyard at Iberostar was nice. Both had evening shows...iberostar more family oriented ...Barcelo..some shows more adult oriented.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clean Resort, Decent Food & Wine - What are my Options?

mra1 -

Can you book at the a la cartes at both Rius?

Hubby & I stayed at GBP Coba in Akumal this year, and were able to book the a la cartes at their other hotels in the complex (Akumal and Tulum).

Can we do the same at the Rius?

stingray64 - how are the rooms at the Iberostar and Barcelo?

Thanks everyone for the help!