We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samana or Puerto Plata

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Samana or Puerto Plata

Hi

I am travelling to the DR for the 1st time in Feb or March 2013 and will travel either to Samana or to Puerto Plata. I would like to know the which would be the best spot to visit. I would be travelling with my wife and the kids would be staying home!

We like the beach vs the pool and have heard that it can be windy in Puerto Plata during Feb/March and early April. Is that so? We also heard that there is kinda of rocky and lots of coral at a lot of the beaches there.

And we know very little about Samana and would like any advice or comments that more experienced DR travellers may have.

thx

slow_louie

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

If you can get a flight from CA to Samana airport then I would say go to Las Terenas. A great getaway for you both.

If your packages/flights all go to POP then that's good too. The windy rocky stuff is not a real concern, don't know where that comes from. There are some nice beaches in the PP area and plenty to do.

The beaches in Samana are superior to PP, however. The small towns of LT and Samana are nice to visit and the sights and excursions are really good. Can't beat Samana area for your getaway. First choice is LT for me.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

Samana is rural and secluded and the beaches are amazing. Much better choice if u ask me.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

The Samana peninsular is the jewel in the crown of the Dominican Republic. Some stunning beaches and during winter months there's whale watching trips

out of the bay.

Puerta Plata area does have different vibe, and the beach at Sosua is really nice.

Only had one very windy experience and that was one February on Bavaro beach which is the Punta Cana area.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 22:42
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

I liked the Ell Portillo in Samana

Its a nice big beach with a place to

snorkel and lots of place to swim as well.

Vender s on the beach where much better in samana

then in peuto plata.

Hotel was extremely clean and staff

where great.Its a little further to travel but well worth it .

I loved it.

My choice is Samana

I have stayed at Gran Ventana and the Riu

Bachata in p.p.

Personally id go back to Samana

New York City
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

Samana Hands down

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

Thanks for all the replies....great information..

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

There are no flights to Samana and I have read on these forums it is a 4 hr drive from PP airport to Samana.....that is a long drive , especially after a long flight. looks like it will be Puerto Plata for us.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

Air Canada flies directly to Samana...

Surrey, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

We are going to Samana Feb 1 - 12, 2013 and we got a flight from Vancouver, BC through Toronto to Samana

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Samana or Puerto Plata

Personally, I would say the Samana Peninsular, more especially Las Galeras but I am a little biased as I live here! All our beaches are sandy, our coral is where it should be - in the sea - and we have so much to see and do here. Flights from Canada to El Catey (one of the airports that serve Samana) are reasonably priced as are the bed and breafast places, self catering casitas the hotels in the area. Area is clean and safe and we have some remarkable restaurants. Check out anthony bourdains Travel Guide to the DR on you tube, Las Galeras features on it and it will give you a strong feel of what to expect.