We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Hi fellow travelers,

I am booking a trip to Iberostar Costa Dorada . Our agent is offering us

a package with stop in Santiago and then a transfer to the resort on a bus/van from airport.

I wanted to ask you how far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata ?

How long does it take to get to the resort from Santiago usually?

Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

About an hour and fifteen minutes.

Gregg

Dorval, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Its about a 4 1/2 drive, and those people are not the best drivers, they have double yellow lines in the midle as a decoration, they change horns on their vehicules ecvery 3 months breaks once every 5yrs

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Oceane9,

I don't know what you are thinking but it is NOT a 4 1/2 hr drive from STI to Puerto Plata - the rest I won't disagree with.

Gregg

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Thanks for the info Gregg,

i guess i will get the tickets to POP airport with a stop in Miami . I found out that it takes about 20-25 minutes from Puerto Plata airport to Iberostar/

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Theodor,

That's about right - enjoy ICD it's agreat resort.

Gregg

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

A new problem just arose,

could those of you who transfered at MIA airport to take another plane further into the country share experience ?

When i am arriving from DR to MIA to transfer to New York, do i have to pick up my luggage and go thru customs and then board to the plane to NY ?

or pass the customs only without transfering my luggage myself ?

how far the terminal that plane drom DR arrives from the one that we hae to take further inland?

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

A new problem just arose,

could those of you who transfered at MIA airport to take another plane further into the country share experience ?

When i am arriving from DR to MIA to transfer to New York, do i have to pick up my luggage and go thru customs and then board to the plane to NY ?

or pass the customs only without transfering my luggage myself ?

how far the terminal that plane drom DR arrives from the one that we hae to take further inland?

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Hi Theodor,

We'll be in the same boat when 14 of us (if the flight doesn't leave on time) sprint through Miami airport to make our connecting flight to the DR.

I'm not sure about picking up luggage since we were always able to use carry-ons when we went to Mexico, but we went through customs then connected to our NYC flight on the return trip.

If you're leaving anytime in the near future, you can find out what gate you'll be arriving at in Miami then see how far you'd have to go to your connecting flight.

We're not leaving till August so if you're leaving earlier, please let us know how you enjoyed your trip.

Tracee

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
607 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Not sure if it is the same for the DR but, when we returned from Cartagena, Colombia, we had to claim our luggage and then go thru regular check-in procedure with our connecting airline.

We flew Cartagena to Miami with Avianca and then Air Canada from Miami to Toronto, Ontario.

On the flight down, we did not have to claim our luggage but did have to go to the check-in counter to pick up our boarding passes and then thru security check. That may only have been because we were flying a Colombian airline out of Miami.

We were told the extra security check and luggage thing was because the Colombians were not trusted to check as closely as the US airlines..... not sure.

new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is Santiago from Iberostar Costa Dorada

Thank you for the info girls and boys.

We hope to leave by end of june for a vacation.

Tracee i will definitely let you know when we come back. Now i have to figure out what is better:

all the hassle with checkout/luggage/customs and transfer in MIA or

take a direct flight from JFK to Santiago then 1 1/5-2 hours drive to the resort (wchich means doing samething on the way back).