We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Puerto Plata

Miramichi, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in Puerto Plata

What would be the norm for tipping in DR... this is our first trip there and would like some info. We been to Cuba last year and it's a no brainer there...they will take anything and i loaded up my suitcase with dollar things.

If they take Dollar store stuff what would they like.

Thanks for any info

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

Cash is what they like, unlike cuba they can buy what they want here.

I always take american 1 dollar bills.

I couple a day for the maid and the bar tender gets a couple every few drinks.

I also tip the gardener as they never usually get any tips.

And dont forget the guys that never get anything.The pool guy who keeps you pool clean.

I usually spend about 100 us on tips for the week.

And of course your waiter.

What hotel will you be saying at?

I will be at the Barcelo april 3 -10

Miramichi, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

Thanks...we are at the VHGran Ventara from March 31 for 7 days

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,135 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

Definitly $$$$$$

Our housekeeper who worked for a major hotel for 3 years as a closet full of lotions and potions not to mention shelves of knick/knacks left by well meaning touirsts.

If they had the money they could buy what ever they needed here it is a case of no dinero!

BObK

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

There is no norm - it is up to you as there different cultural and personal attitudes towards tipping. Tip though for good service.

According to the TA guide to tipping and etiquette - the experts? "You will find that once you have tipped, they will run for you and make sure you don't want for anything." IMO this shouldn't be the main reason for tipping.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
466 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

We alway tip the bartender at the main bar we use & maid on the first day (waiters at time of service). Then we get great service for the week, and at the end of the week we give them another tip. They are so thankful & everyone is happy!

6. Re: Tipping in Puerto Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 05:16