We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Had a great time, enjoyed it tremendously.

Does anyone have any questions?

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Yeah Hi

6 friends are thinking of going to DR for a week, would you reccommed this hotel ?

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Loanlady

did you ask to be in block 5 or 6 when you got there.

I'm really hoping we get a balcony as we like to sit out on the balcony of an evening.

Was the resort well kept and clean. How was the food and drink. Did you go on many trips.

Thanks

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Hello,

For 6 friends, it may be fun. It is not a place to go to meet single males/females as most people were either with a partner or with a group of mixed genders.

I did not specifically ask for block 5 or 6, but when we checked in I asked if my room had a balcony. Edward told me he gave me "a wonderful room with a balcony".

Food was not bad. Breakfast had so many different options, eggs, french toast, pancakes, meats, vegetables, fruits, pastries, cheese and meat trays, etc.

Lunch we only ate at the snack bar as you cannot wear a bathing suit in the main buffet and we spent our days at the beach. Mixed varieties of hamburgs, hot dogs, luncheon meats and cheeses, salads, kabobs, etc. One day they had a fish kabob. I usually don't eat fish that I am not sure of. I prefer haddock and shellfish. This fish was delicious.

For dinner we ate at the 3 al a carte restaurants and then the buffets the other nights. Truthfully, I am not a buffet person. I prefer the al a carte restaurants, but the buffet had so many different things to offer that I really enjoyed it. The Mexican and the Grill restaurants were good. We did not care for the Italian restaurant. We got the linguini with shrimp. The shrimp were salad shrimp and it looked like macaroni and cheese! Definitely steer clear of this. I also got the sliced beef salad and it was raw beef. I am on vacation, so not wanting to get sick I didn't eat this. If this had been noted on the menu I would not have gotten this type of salad.

We did not do any trips. We walked down to the Playa Dorada mall a few times and then walked the beach every day. What a gorgeous beach and you can walk for miles and miles. We were there mainly to relax. The one trip I thought of going to was the Outback Safari, but did not want to visit a local school or home. Quite frankly, I think this practice is exploiting the locals and would find that a bit uncomfortable.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Dorada Mall
Playa Dorada Mall
62 Reviews
Dominican Republic
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Loan Lady

thanks for you all your info.

Redhill, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Hi there,

Glad you had a great holiday!

We are going to this resort in August, a bit concerned about so

many different reports!

Is there much to keep children entertained?

There are 5 teenagers and 2number 9 year olds in our group! If

the children have a good time so will the adults.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

Pollys, I agree with you if the kids are happy so are the adults. I don't have any young kids any longer so we were alone. There seemed to be a lot going on at the bigger active pool, volleyball, etc. When we were there it didn't seem like there were a lot of kids, but that was in May when school was in session. The entertainment staff were always trying to get people involved and did a lot with the kids earlier in the evening shows. I think they need to be willing to have fun and possibly make themselves look silly. After all, they are on vacation, nobody knows them and nobody cares....

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

hi

polly what date are you going.

I have an 11 year old daughter who will be staying at this hotel from the 9th aug to 24th.

Maybe she might meet your kids.

8. Re: Just Back from Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 14:18