We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Injections

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Injections

I was told that you have to pay you GP for any injections you need before going to the Dominican Republic is this right? Also can anybody let me know the best tablets to take for Malaria. Any inform ation on the Dominican would be good as this is our first time to the Dominican, I am travelling with my husband and rwo children age 15 and 7. Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Injections

JuJu1234, it depends on what you are getting and where you get them done. From my own experience, if the GP had the injections at the surgery they have been free. If they didn't have them then they gave a prescription and the usual prescription rules applied. Different rule may apply for you though. Basically, you'll have to pay for them all, some or none depending on your doctor.

Have a read of this site:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/Country/Dominican_Republ…

My doctor recommended Chloroquine or proguanil for maleria.

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Injections

Hi

I had my injections a couple of weeks ago and had to pay the price of a prescription be careful though, and ask for the 2in1 typhoid & hep A! as they will try and give u them separate (to get more money)! where this 2in1 is just the one jag!!

As for Malaria it is not a necessity in this part of the domincan but the best ones to get if u want to take them (according to my GP) are chloroquin.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Injections

Hi dechmont00

Thanks for that. Have you been before to the Dominican? I'm not going untill August but a little nervous not sure what to expect!! I've heard bad reports about the weather in August.

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Injections

Hi JuJu

Have not been to DR before, but have had a few friends who have.. and have always gone in August.. weather pretty much the same then as it is in july (when I go).. some showers, thunderstorms, but very hot, so will need plenty of suncreams. We have 2 children (10 & 7) and apparantly there is loads to do for kids.

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Injections

You could also check www.accuweather.com and goto the HURRICANE CENTRE.

Dont panic i take a keen interest in the HURRICANE SEASON in the carribean & gulf coast and have done so for a few years and it is very unlikely for there to be anything more than a passing tropical storm which may give you rain for 1day at the most but BELIEVE me the DOM.REP is a very hot & humid place and you will get WALL to WALL sunshine for most of your stay.

Past weather trends tend to suggest that NOVEMBER through to FEBRUARY are more likely to have duller weather.

The rainfall is 10x higher in August than it is in November but that is due to the fact that you will get all of Novembers rainfall in 1/2 an hour downpour in August.

have a great holiday...

hope this info helps

usm
essex, england
Level Contributor
304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Injections

We go end of July.

GP gave us injections without charge - Hep A, Typhoid, Diptheria? as I recall. I also had a Tetanus.

Our GP felt there was no need for us to take malaria tablets.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Injections

Avloclor 250mg, are recommended for Malaria they contain Chloroquine. One tip they come in packs of 20, adults only need 14 in total, so you will have spare tablets. Children 1-4 years only half a tablet, 5-8 years only 1 tablet and 9-14 years 1 and half tablets (per week).

Work out the total amount you need for your family otherwise you will have loads left over.

Also Superdrug Pharmacy is only £2.15 per pack, whilst Boots charge £3.99 for the exact same pack.

Lorraine

Norwich Norfolk
Level Contributor
97 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Injections

Hi. I would definatly reccomend taking malaria tablets just in case. we went to the dom rep in april and i did get bitten. Chloroquine(?) is the best and we experienced no side effects. i think they cost about £2.00 which i think is a small price to pay for piece of mind, especially with children. You will have a fab time, everything about the island is fantastic. Wish i was going back............one day, i hope!

North East England
Level Contributor
450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Injections

We have just had our jabs and did not have to pay anything, I think it must depend on your doctors. We went last year to DR and did not take any malaria tabs, we weren't advised to but we did get bitten a lot so I think if I went back I would consider taking the tabs. I know for places like Kenya they advise Malarone, Larium or Doxycycline so I am not sure for DR as these can work out very expensive.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Injections

Jaars,

Definitely don't need the expensive stuff like Malarone. Avloclor (brand name) is fine, and very cheap!!