We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi all,

my partner and i have been booked to get married at the mambo for about 7 months now. we are taking 7 members of our family over with us. Needless to say we are very anxious because of the illness going around the rius, thomson have tried to reassure us it will all be cleared up by the time we go (august) but we are so nervous about going i'm considering cancelling all together!!

Please can anyone with any positive comments reply to this post just to try and ease our minds, better still if anyone was married there or saw any weddings.

I'd hate to think the most important day of our lives will be a disaster!!!

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Mambobride

Im really sorry to hear of the worry that this situation has given you, my son and I are due to travel there on Sunday. If you read and follow the posting which says Coconutpalm is at the mambo, she is there right at this moment...

She has had some very positive things to say... this may begin to put your mind at some rest....we too are flying with Thomson and they were no use to us at all....

So we are still flying and will of course update while we are there and on our return....you have time on your side which is a bonus!

Karen x

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Mambobride

We were at the Bachata at Xmas and were ill. Enough said because I am sure that by the time you get there in August it will be sorted, can't imagine that the problem will continue for that long.

You will be completely enchanted by the whole resort (all 3 hotels). Whilst we were there in October 2003 I saw several weddings which were completely amazing, I've also heard great things about the wedding planners who by all accounts are very helpful.

Try not to think about what is currently happening, just concentrate on making your special day magical as you should. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Sara

Cardiff
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Mambobride

I am also getting married at the mambo, in March/April and have exactly the same concerns as yourself. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be ok by the time we go. It was reasuring to hear from coconutpalm that everything seems to be ok so far... I'm even starting to look forward to it now. It will be a while but i will give you all the wedding details when i return home.

Toni

indiana
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi Mambobride,

My fiance and I were suppose to go to the bachata in March for our wedding but because of all of the sickness going around I got our wedding relocated. I have about 30 guest coming with us and all I could think about was how I was responsible for all of these people paying their money to go to this place and getting sick. I was having dreams about my finace being sick on our day and not being able to get out of bed for the wedding. Finally after all of the worring I just couldnt handle it any longer I had to change it. My advice to u is to really think about this. This is suppose to be the greatest day of your life and the last thing that you want is for your whole wedding party to be sick. If you decide to relocate you better do it fast because I had a hell of a time with my travel agency to fix this but in the end I won!

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi Mambobride

We to are getting married at the same RIU complex on April 1

We are a little concerned with all the recent developments but are still looking forward to a wonderful time.

The way we look at it. This resort will be the cleanest in the caribbean.

Good luck with your wedding.

We will do a post after our trip.

Also, people from my company are going to the RIU in early March and will provide me us with an update. (Too many conflicting stories to sort through)

Burlington Ontario
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi Mambobride

Thought this link to photos of a Riu Mambo bride from 2004 might help you . She was kind enough to email me the info when I was asking for info on a different forum.

community.webshots.com/user/sarahschaedel

My daughter is getting married at the Riu Merengue in June and we are concerned and an keeping an eye on the situation down there. Our wedding co ordinator at the Riu emailed me this week about plans for the wedding and advised me that they had 8 weddings last week and 11 are booked for this week and so far, none of the weddings parties are sick. I realise that she could be spinning me a yarn, but she did not have to venture any info as my emails did not question the current problems.

For the sakes of all travellers , lets hope the virus disappears very soon.

Enjoy your wedding.

newcastle
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all of your replies -it has helped to put our minds at ease and we're not nearly so worried now! its good to hear postive things after so many negatives! to those of you who are getting married there before us i hope you have a great time and all the best!

Thanks again!

x

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Hi Mambo Bride! Me and my new husband just returned from the Dominican (RIU bachata - next to Mambo) on Feb 4. We had 35 guests with us and none of us were sick. The grounds at all three Riu's are to die for. The pictures all incredible and I would not hesitate to go if I were you. You will love it!!!

M Breland - Just married!

Cardiff
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Justsayno

We have tried endless amounts of times to change our holiday but to no avail, Thompson will not budge. There are 12 people traveling altogether and i have been having exactly the same thoughts as yourself "what if we get sick and cant get married" and "what if the kids are ill" but unfortunatley all we can do is sit, wait and hope. I'm glad you managed to change, atleast you can relax now and not have the added stress of worrying about any illness.

Tonithebride

Cardiff
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone married at the riu mambo? or returned RECENTLY?

Stevo

Are you actually getting married at the mambo? because i am getting married at the mambo on the 1st April too. Also, do you have any information/details about the actual wedding itself? e.g time of wedding, the location etc. because i haven't a clue what to expect on day,we've been told that we will find out when we get there but it would be nice to know any details before hand.

Toni