We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria medication? Yes or No?

toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Malaria medication? Yes or No?

We're going to Puerto Plata in just over a week and I would like to get some response on malaria medication from fellow travellers. I know Puerto Plata is not on Health Canada's list of potential malaria concentrations (they recommend anyone travelling to Punta Cana (sp?) to take malaria medication. Talked to my Doctor today and he advised if I don't have to take it I shouldn't. Said there were numerous side effects and that long term effects have yet to be studied. I was thinking that a more preventative course of action may be better - i.e. using deet off, ect. What the general concensus with malaria mediacation and the Dominican?

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Was in Puerto Plata Jan 22 - 29. Didn't take the medication, because I agree with your doctor, why take something you don't need. Didn't use bug spray, got some bites but - no problem. Nothing compared to what we get during our summers here in Winnipeg. You have to do what you need to, to be in your comfort zone. Some friends who went to Punta Cana took the medication, however, but didn't have any side effects. I hear some of the medications have terrible side effects, but the one recommended by Health Canada isn't more mild. Good luck with your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
East Coast
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

just returned from Breezes Puerto Plata Feb 11-18 Did not take anti-malaria medications. Didn't use bug spray either. Didn't even see a bug . The resort does spray for bugs. It's a personnal choice my doctor told me it wasn't necessary and I trust him.Malaria isn't new in Dominican This was my fifth trip never took the medication once.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

farmerblanche,

I'm sorry but am I missing something.

You saw your doctor and they recommended against taking unnecessary meds.

Now you are seeking a second medical opinion from strangers on a travel message board.

At a minimum you should seek a second medical opinion from a doctor who could write you the prescription if they were convinced you need the meds, but it's almost moot because if I am not mistaken the first dose has to be taken a week BEFORE departure.

Good luck.

Gregg

Sault Ste Marie
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Simple ans.LIsten to your Doctor

Selkirk Manitoba
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

We were at Casa Marina Jan. 22 to feb 5 and took Chloroquine Phosphate 250 MG with no side effects.

Never saw a mosquito but lots of wasps at the beach bars and around the fresh fruit counter.

Tom

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Went to Puerto Plata January 29 to February 5th with my hubby, and 12 year old daughter. Called the health unit on 2 occasions just to see if I was getting the same info talked to two different health nurses who deal with travel, they both told me no need to take malaria medication as they DO NOT anticipate the migration of malaria to travel to Puerto Plata they have EXPERTS checking into this daily with health officals in the Dominican. Called my doctor asked her if I need to take the malaria meds and she advised me not to take them and repeated exactly what the health nurse told me.

We had no problems while we were there, we took along OFF with deet and did not need to use it. Didn't really see any bugs while I was there. I would take the OFF along just in case you never know bugs can be bad one week and not bad the next.

Make sure the bug spray you buy has more than 10% of deet in it. Have a great vacation, you should have no problems

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Took the medication, had no ill effects for us. IMO we didn't need it as there were no mosquitoes either at the resort or off in the bushes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Hello,

I jsut returned form PP on Firday and did not take the malaria meds. I saw a trabel doctor and he said I didn't need it to go to Puerto Plata. There were not many mosquitos I think I got bit once so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
edmonton
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

I just took the malaria medication before reading this post. It cost me $12.26 can. I think for that much but I saw my uncle with malaria after coming back from new guinea and he was a real mess. I also took a hep a and b shot it was $80.22 but I only got the first of three so I'm not even sure if I'm immune. Probably over cautious but I don't want sickness to ruin my trip.

oshawa
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria medication? Yes or No?

Just returned from two weeks in puerto plata, didn't see one mosquito. I went on three mountain safaris to rainforests. At one waterfall my boyfriend spoke with a toronto doctor about why we had both been sick with the flu for 24hrs (2day recuperation--everyone on island getting it, RIu resort worse than the others-. She said buy only water from stores and not to trust the filtered at the hotel. I have travelled there and elsewhere and drank and didnt get sick, I think it's a bug on the island. She mentioned malaria shots to him as well, but most people we talked to hadn't got any, so take it for what you will. No mosquitos, doctors concern is questionable (but I haven't checked the recent malaria statistics. Save the headache, don't risk the side effects and don't wear cologne.