We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ease of flying into other airports?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Ease of flying into other airports?

Can someone please give me a breakdown on the distance from other airports to Puerto Plata, and is it easy / possible to fly into others? We booked the hotel and have been looking at flights, but I see flights that are much cheaper into other airports - How long of a ride would it be from some of the other airports (STI and SDQ), and what could we expect to pay for transportation?

Also, if it is a feasible ride, can anyone recommend any transportation services?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

You can fly ibto others, Santiago STI is an hour to 1-1/2 hrs and around $100 for a cab, Santo Domingo SDG is about 4 hrs away.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

A lot of folks will fly to Santiago and take a cab. It may pay to do is as the cab from the airport to Playa Dorda is $35 each way and the cab from Santiago is $100 each way. I would not be surprised to see both prices increase by about 10% in the very near future as gas prices here have gone through the roof.

So if you are saving $200 or more by flying to Santiago it may be worth it. Travel time will be only about 45-50 min more from Santiago as well.

BObK

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

suz, our home is in Sosua and POP is the closest airport but 90 out of 100 times we fly into STI or SDQ. The airfares are normally as much as $3-400 less using STI or SDQ. The longer ride is the only negative. There are Modern Coach Buses during the daytime from both areas which are cheap but time again is the only negative.

Mentioned in this post
Sosua
Sosua
Dominican Republic
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

Thanks all - we ended up with POP - when we calculated the time and the $100 each way cab fare, decided the savings weren't that significant. And, thanks to Airline reward programs, the flights weren't bad!

I am sure I will be back with more questions - this is our first time in the DR and I'm looking forward to exploring a new locale!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

Enjoy your trip and ask away. Do make sure your get off the resort some and explore.

BObK

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

Thank you! I definitely intend to explore - I am not a "stay in the resort its not safe" type of person, lol - as you might guess from my DE for Jamaica tag ;)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

Good choice suz, POP is an easy airport and you avoid the long drives. For airport pickup I would recommend my Friend Elias. His Taxi is a newer minivan, he speaks good English and is a good man, my kids love him. 809-842-5557. He can do you airport pick ups, city tour, any tour you want.

Ricardo

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely take his number with me - we booked our transportation with our hotel - I would have waited but my friend was worried, so that piece is done.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

If you want to take any day trips (Puerto Plata, Santiago, playa Caleton/Grande) give Elias a call. We as well as our friends and clients use him all the time. One of the good guys

BObK

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
North Stonington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ease of flying into other airports?

In the future, if you should happen to return, you can fly into STI, take a $20 taxi from the airport to either Caribe Tours or the Metro (both of which are at the opposite ends of a short city block) and then take what amounts to an approx. $5-6 p/p, 1 hour and 15 minute ride to Puerto Plata. Of course, once you arrive, you'll need transportation to your hotel. I've done it on many, many occasions.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic