We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rude Employees at the Bachata

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rude Employees at the Bachata

I just returned from the Bachata on the 4th of July and will never go back. I found the workers (excluding the soap girls and maids) to be very rude is this because I was from the united states or what?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

Not sure, we're from Canada and found they were most accommodating. Front desk switched us to an ocean view room after the first night, no problemo. The maids even helped us move!! All of our waiters, etc were great. How would the staff know which country you are even from?

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

The one thing I love about DR is that the people are soo friendly. We have never encountered rude people.If you are nice they will also just like here at home.I really don't think it has anything to do about you coming from the states.

Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

One of the reasons I have kept returning to the Riu and particularily to the DR is because I have always found the employees of the resort(s) and the Dominicans friendly. I have stayed at resorts where I have seen guests being rude and demanding to the staff. I find your issue with the staff surprising.

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

I always go into a country with an open mind and I know If you are nice to them especially with tips that you will have a great week and this didn't happen in the DR. I even tipped the maid on the first day of arrival at 3 in afternoon. I found the resort to be unorganized in the activities and I was told it was a family resort. Topless woman all over the place is not family oriented to me when I am traveling w/ 14 and 11 year old boys. We don't do that at family resorts in the United States but I guess other countries do. And at dinner waiters would go around asking where you were from if they couldn't already tell by the different accents. They resort was beautiful and we did not get sick but I do believe they could have been a little more friendlier.

Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

At many of the resorts in the Caribbean ,topless sunbathing is very acceptable because many Europeans visit and it is a European thing. My kids are 11 and 8 and because they have seen it so many times now they don't take much notice anymore. As for rudeness, or being unfriendly i have found it works both ways down there. As a frequent traveller to the DR, I have found it to be one of the most friendliest places to visit. I have no complaints when it comes down to their hospitality.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

Hi Cat,

I must say I am surprised at your report of rudeness at the Bachata. Things must have changed dramatically over the past 18 months then. When were there, I don't remember anyone, no matter what grade of staff, being rude or discourteous to us. In fact I remember distinctly the opposite, they were friendly in the extreme. So much so that we have booked to go back again this year. In only 7 days time. I just hope the illness has cleared up by then.

As for "family resort" I do find it strange you guys from the USA can be so easily offended by ladies "boobs". Whilst I myself would be too modest to "go topless" it does not offend me. I would agree that some Ladies would definitely look better covered up.

Regards

Lorraine

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

Lorraine

I hope you enjoy your vacation. I found that the best thing to do not to get sick and it seemed to work for my kids and myself was to use only the bathroom in our room. We also got the hand wash on the way in to get meals and also on the way out. Watch out for the icecream several flavors have rum added and they don't tell the kids that when they get it (I even saw parents feeding it to kids in highchairs unknowingly) I hope you enjoy.

Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

On our first trip to the DR my sons were 16 and 13. For the first couple of days there were enthralled by the "topless ladies" but after a while they just didn't seem to notice. On our last trip they didn't even bat an eye. I personally would not go topless because I would scare everyone off the beach, on second thought that is a good way to get the prime spots, but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to do so. Toplessness is a way of life in Europe, and I think we North Americans are way too uptight about these things. Young boys will find a way to steal a glance at a Playboy magazine, it is the same thing with the topless sunbathers. We stayed at the Mambo a couple of years ago and frequented all three hotels and at no time did we encounter anyone who was rude. We did find some of the employees a little reserved at first, but at no time were they rude. I have been traveling to the DR since 2000 and I have never encountered rude people be it on the resort or off. I have encountered rude staff both here at home and in the US. I think that sometimes we mistake humility for unfriendliness.

9. Re: Rude Employees at the Bachata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 02:15