We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sosua Beach Questions

Fort Frances, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Sosua Beach Questions

1. Should we just ask the taxi driver (staying at VH Gran) to take us to Sosua Beach

2. Looking for suggestions on best food/drink/chair locations at the beach.

3. Are there bathrooms/washrooms available - if so is there a charge?

4. Is this a good place to shop? If so, what treasures would should we look for.

5. We like to snorkel - should we just go it alone while there or hire someone to take us out.

6. Any other suggestions/ideas

Thanks in advance

Brenda

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

Ok here goes:

1. Yes tell him the beach or better yet ask to be dropped off at the checkpoint bar. Walk through the causeway to the small street going down hill to the beach. Lots of shops along this stretch.

2. Best food is at Tom's Scandnavian bar which is shop #151 of so. All the shops, bars and restaurants are numbered along the beach so easy to get find

3. There are multiple bathrooms and showers along the beach. You will see them as they are white tile buildings. Cost 10 pesos

4 There are lots of shops offering the typical tourist gifts. DO NOT buy cigars here as they will be fakes and do bargain hard.

5. YOu can take a snorkel tour and lots of vendors and shops offering this or it is just a 50 meter swim from the beach to the reefs.

6. Bring lots of sunscreen. A couple of chairs and umbrella should run you about $150-200 pesos and your beach chair guy will bring you food and drink to your chair if you want.

Hope this helps and have a great time. It is a beautiful beach.

BObK

Fort Frances, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

Thanks again BobK

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

You are welcome and have a great time

BObK

Shasta Lake
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

B0bK, you lost me on "checkpoint bar". I usually have them drop me off at the parking area / entrance to the beach. I can't picture what you mean by "checkpoint bar"?

I"ll make a not of Tom's Scandnavian bar and try it next time I'm there. I pretty much just randomly pick a location for the day

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

Parking lot is fine. Checkpoint is just up the hill from the parking lot. As you get to the top of the hill form the beach you will see some steps to the right. This leads to a short breezeway and they are on the opposite end at the street.

BObK

nyc
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

There is a dominican resturaunt less than half way in, Adridans?, you pick the daily fish from their cooler, they prepare grilled or fried, served with typical dominican sides. Eat in or along the walkway.

Restrooms already mentioned.

Scuba, never tried it.

Barter for trinkets.

Tell the taxi to leave you by the entrance, he knows.

7. Re: Sosua Beach Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18