We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Are sand fleas worse at a particular time of year, or are there cases where they are worse on year over the next?

We were at Bahia Principe San Juan in November of 2005, but the sand fleas were terrible. We would love to go back, but this is the only thing keeping us back.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

They can be around all year long. Use a repellent with at least 25% DEET and you should do fine.

BObK

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Sunfleas they don't come out in breeze areas as they will blow them away

They are common after rain

Locals blend coconut oil with shampoo or repellent

At night use long trousers

Edited: 16 December 2013, 01:17
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

In all our trips to the D.R. (13x's) we have found the sand fleas to be the worst at the Bahia Rio San Juan. Those little no-see-ums just love the wet sand ! Best solution is to use an insect spray containing Deet & when coming up from the beach & sandy walkways, rinse the sand off your legs/ankles/feet off with water, so you don't carry them/sand into your room.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Bahia Rio San Juan is the ONLY time I have been chewed up by sand fleas. We've been to Playa Dorada, Punta Cana (3 times) and Samana. Never an issue any place except Rio San Juan. I always bring bug repellent, but rarely need to use it.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 02:00
london
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

OK now you're scaring me as I like to finish the day off on the beach. We are staying at the Casa Marina Beach - do I have to spray myself with repellant before entering the beach? After 4pm in The Gambia I'd be watching out for the mosquitoes - are you telling me going to the beach appx 4pm to enjoy the last rays of sun I am going to be eaten alive by Sand Fleas (or is that Flies?).

Many thanks

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

We were rarely on the beach after 4pm, so I don't know if it's got anything to do with the time of day. I just know for some reason they were really bad there. And of course, you don't know you've been bit until they start itching like crazy. (at least I didn't) It was our first vacation south, I didn't have internet back then and I didn't think to bring bug spray. Now it goes with me everywhere, just in case.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

I always get bitted by sand fleas when I go to the Caribbean but they are only active at night. There's a repellant I bought on Amazon that has great reviews. Not everyone will get bitten by sand fleas, I think if you have a propensity to, you will (much like some people get bitten by mosquitoes more). Don't worry about it too much, just put some repellant and don't go into the sand at night. I got bit in DR and in Puerto Rico (but not in Curacao).

amazon.com/gp/…

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Sand fleas are prevalent all over the world the best way to avoid get bitten is not to be on the beach very early in the morning or late afternoon walks when they tend to be around..........in saying that to date I have never been bitten on all my visits to the DR and I am an early riser and on the beach by 7am.

Remember to rinse the sand from off your feet & legs once you leave the beach area using the the body and feet showers that most resorts supply.

A tip for you also is when you get back to your room is not to forget............. do NOT to put your beach towels or bags on your bed when you come back from the beach and shower with a shower scrunchie as soon as you come in from the beach... as these pesky little things stick to you and if you dont shower before a rest lying on your bed they will have a feast on you when you are asleep then people think they have bed bugs.

I dont know if any of you have heard of Tiger Balm but that is great for fending off the sand fleas or anything with a menthol / eucalyptus smell. The local Dominicans swear by Eucalyptus oil.

Have a read of this article

www.healthy-skincare.com/sand-flea-bite.html

Angie.

Bialystok
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

Hi Angie,

It's possible to buy tiger balm in Plaza Dorada?Or some other place?

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas..worse at a particular time of year...

agnes

Never seen it in the DR..........I have always taken it with me.......and best to get the white not the red........its readily available on Amazon if you cant it find it in any local pharmacy.

Angie.