We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Hi

We are staying at Be Live Grand Marien Jan 25 - Feb 1. This is the 4th trip for me and have seen just about everything in the Puerto Plata area so we thought we might go to Santo Domingo this trip. Does anyone know if this trip is offered at the resort or if it's even worth doing? I know it's a long bus ride. I can't find any information on it through Transat Holidays website. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

You can book it with James or Mel's or the resort I'm thinking.

The ride is 3-4 hours each way. It's a too long day trip. I'd do an overnight in the Colonial Zone to break it up and to see more.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Thanks for the advice! We will probably look at something else...anyone have a suggestion?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Day Trips: Playa Sosua, Playa Cabarete, Playa Grande, Santiago. And I assume you've done the whole Puerto Plata thing; cable car, Haitian Market, Ambar Factory, Brugal, etc.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Santiago is a great day trip if you have not done that in your past visits........We did the Santiago cigar tours to the E. Leon Jimenes Marlboro cigarette and Aurora cigar factory plus Centro Leon cigar factory. Also visit the Tomas Morel Folk Art Museum with its collection of winning masks from the Santiago Carnival........plus the ceramics factory is another good place to visit. We also went to see Monumento de la Restauracion - It was built by Trujillo in his honor, but later dedicated to those who lost their life in the War of Restoration. From the top of the monument the views of Santiago are absolutely brilliant and awe inspiring.

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

I agree with Angie that a day trip to Santiago will be great. Also don't forget Monkey Jungle if you have not done it before.

BObK

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

We have also done the day trip to Santiago and thoroughly enjoyed it !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

I did a day trip to Santo Domingo a few years ago from Cofresi. Very early start, about 5.30am and returned about 8.30pm. Enjoyed seeing the country on the (long) journey and the Colonial Zone was fabulous. Plenty of time to see just that. That was all I wanted really. Couple of stops on the way, the lighthouse(?) and caves. I thought it was worth it, but I went by myself and if I was to go again, it would be an overnight stay. Very tired when I got back.

Santiago next time.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 11:34
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

It is impossible to see much of the Colonial Zone on that kind of a trip. You could easily spend two full days there and still not see it all.

Just the two major museums will take you half a day.

BObK

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Santiago sounds like the winner! Thanks everyone :)

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Santo Domingo

Your very welcome...........have a great trip :)

Angie.