We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Days till Blue Bay

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upper New York Stae
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
14 Days till Blue Bay

14 days and counting!!!!! This will be our 21st. year in a row at Villas Doradas, now Blue Bay Villas Doradas. Can’t wait, as usual. If you read the reviews, take a few of them with a grain of salt. We go each year for 4 weeks and see everything. Coming back year after year say it all about what the Resort is like. Been other places, just for the record.

The resort may not be one of the new, huge, 5 Star resorts physically. BUT, the staff and the treatment you get here sure is. Our vacation is made by the staff and they are 5 Star Plus. The smallness of the resort let you get to know the staff and the other guests and they, in turn, get to know you and what you like, in food and drinks. We have got 5 e-mails from guests we met last year, who are returning around the time we will be there.

Right now, we are waiting for the next snow storm. Our area has got 102” of snow so far this year. More tonight. This is why we go to the Dominican Republic every year. See you on the beach. Ken & Lynne

Norfolk UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

Hi.

Hope you have a great time :-)

I have to wait till May :-( But my last visits certainly confirm what you have said, and I wouldn't think of going anywhere else in the DR :-)

Could you find out a few things for me whilst you are there please, as sadly I can't get a reply from email?

Thanks

:-)

Paisley, Scotland...
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

I'm not long back from BlueBay Villas and I have to say I have very mixed feelings about my stay.

Some of the staff are excellent - mostly the buffet staff but the Circlezone staff are a total nightmare.

We had to be moved room from block 4 as it was quite honestly THE WORST room I've ever stayed in. I've stayed in better roadside hotels!

Granted when we eventually got moved (requested on Wednesday - moved on Saturday) the room was lovely.

Without being disrespectful to anyone else I have to wonder if those who feel Bluebay is such a good hotel as to whether they've stayed in better quality hotels? Have they seen what better service is like (I can only compare my experiences where I've had better)?

That is not to say if you get the right room and avoid the Circlezone harassment staff that Bluebay isn't a nice hotel. It is. But it is just that.

I would have to say that I wouldn't go back. I've stayed in better quality hotels with better quality service and staff for much less money.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

I'm currently at BleBay and very delighted with the service, food quality and our room. And, yes, my husband and I are well traveled and have stayed in very high end hotels. What sets BlueBay apart is the welcoming and caring staff who are genuinely warm and friendly. As soon as we arrive we are made to feel like family returning home after a long absence..

Many changes have been made at BlueBay since our last visit in 2012........all improvements. However, there are many staff members who have moved on and their presence is missed. The good news is the newcomers are equally dedicated to excellent service.

Sarnia, ON
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

escapewinter - how long are you at BB? We are renting an apartment in Costambar.... would be nice to meet up again if possible.

Olivia

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

Dot, we are here until March 6.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

I'm on the same page as GrizzleyKev. Very disappointed. We would not go back either. It took us 3 room changes to find one worth staying in, and it still wasn't what we had paid for. I'm hoping to post my review in the next few days.

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

Ditto, SBDriver. I was there over Christmas and was disappointed. The more I think about it, and see that others are not getting the room upgrades they paid for, the less likely I am to go to BlueBay again.

We have also been to Catalonia Grand Dominicus in Bayahibe, and had a great time there. Depending on the time of year, it can be cheaper than BB at POP. We may try down there again. Too bad. I really like the adult only aspect of BB.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

Did a Westjet rep ever come to the hotel to ensure their customers were well looked after?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

We arrived at the hotel in the early evening. The rep did not come to the resort until the next day, when we spoke with him. He said judging by our bracelet we had not paid for the upgrade. He said he would call Westjet and get things straightened out and leave a message for us at the front desk. We never did get the message through the front desk, but found the rep again later that day (after the 1st room change) and he told us things would be straightened out as soon as there was a room available (in two more days) We never saw him again after that. By the time we were in the 3rd room we were tired of fighting for what we paid for. The hotel computer did in fact show we had paid for the Silver upgrade, but what we didn't know is that the package had changed, and Bluebay had no intention of honouring what we paid for. We have filed a complaint with Westjet and are waiting to hear back from them.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 Days till Blue Bay

SBDriver, I can understand your frustration and hope you get fair compensation for your did appointing holiday. When things go wrong it colours how you see everything.