We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Tried looking on Thompsons web site and holiday to merengue is no longer availabe. Phoned Thompsons who stated at first Hotel was fully booked for the year ? after explaining we had visited this hotel numerous times and informing them that hotel is never fully booked for a whole season, and did not believe them, we finally got told both had pulled out of the hotel not renewed contract.

Advice please.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Forgot to Add we have booked 8 people for 15th September 2014

Also informed this does not affect the Riu Bachatta.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,575 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Hi southgare

Is it today you have been trying to find a holiday to the Merengue on both Thomson /First Choice website, if so both websites are experiencing technical issues and the Web Team are trying to resolve the problem as soon as possible.

I am certainly surprised to hear that Thomson have not renewed their contract with Riu Merengue as Riu and Tui the parent company of Thomson are the major shareholders in the group !!!!

Angie.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Hi thanks for your reply, informed by Thompsons staff on the telephone this afternoon that had not renewed contract. The holiday has not been available on the web for a few days, this is why we telephoned, as I say at first Thompsons informed us hotel was fully booked it was only after we argued the fact, chances of full hotel until end of season very slim, I will be going into local Thompsons in the morning so will keep all updated, Did however state it would not affect our booking?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

booked for sept. hope all ok

Coventry
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

I hope this is not true, we was planning on booking our wedding here for next year, and was looking at booking it when it goes on sale next week.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

I will be going into thompsons late today so will provide a update, I have visited this resort numerous times and have only had a great time no complaints

Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

Yep just checked on the web site there is no offer for the hotel

Coventry
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

There is for next April. I messages Thomson on twitter, and they won't confirm or deny it. Time to look at backup plans for our wedding methinks

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

I will be going into thompsons late today so will provide a update, I have visited this resort numerous times and have only had a great time no complaints

Coventry
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thompsons /First Choice pull out Riu Merengue

It will be a shock if they do pull out, like you say it is a great resort, and I've never had a problem there either. Thanks for keeping us updated!