We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Hi

Having returned from Domincan a couple of weeks ago, I have had to put in a compensation claim to my tour operator (first choice) as I was missold my holiday! it turned into the Holiday from hell, until I was moved to another hotel. Has anybody ever had a similar experience and if so did you get any compo? - thanks in advance

Isaira Tours
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Diwa Dominicana
Sightseeing Tours
Extra Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

dechmont,

Sorry to hear about your hotel, which one was it? (for god sake dont say Iberostar CD! - im sure it isnt, lol).

Well, couple of years ago i made a complaint about the state of the room. Its a long story, but definately worth a complaint. I took pictures etc and wrote a 7 page report on the whole issue of the room and service of the rep. Basically, they might aswell of slapped me in the face because they gave me and my partner a £50 voucher to spend on another First Choice holiday which i thought was a cheek! Now, i waited 6 weeks to hear from them and by the time i got theletter, i was really stressed about the whole situation! I didnt go no further and didnt end up using the voucher because why should i book another holiday with them? (First Choice).

Go all the way, and refer to the 'Sale of Goods Act' and 'Trade Description Act' and they should take you more seriously. Have you evidence? i.e, photo's, video footage etc?

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on..

GG

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Thanx gg. No dont worry it wasn't your hotel. it was (superclub breezes). The holiday was just awful, when we booked it we did so on the understanding that it was a 4* however First choice had downgraded the hotel and did not inform us, half of the facilities were not on either. I have written a 5 page letter, so hopefully I shall hear something soon. I will go crazy if they offer me vouchers as I dont think I would book with FC again. Thanks for your reply and I will keep you informed.

SE England
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Hi dechmont00

I am in the process of going through a compensation claim with The Holiday Place following my family's holiday at Superclubs Breezes Puerta Plata in June. My review is posted here (the one that says I was travelling with my family and 16 year old son).

My claim was submitted to the company on 23 July. To date, I have only received an acknowledgement.

I have complained in the past to First Choice, but do not feel this is the forum to discuss details. If you would like to discuss either your complaint about Breezes or the result of my complaint to First Choice, please feel free to e-mail me on makambo@btinternet.com.

Good Luck!

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Thanks Makambo,

Have taken a note of your email address and I shall be in touch shortly. Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Hi again,

So you booked through First Choice hey? Let me tell you something now, they will offer you vouchers but DONT accept them and persue it further with ABTA/ATOL Seriously, it's an insult so dont accept them. I havent gone with First Choice since that holiday and i believe they have a poor reputation when dealing with complaints...

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

dechmont00

Go to www.holidaytravelwatch.co.uk - there is a contact form to contact them - they usually ring you back within 24 hours and chat to you and help you through your complaints process. Their telephone number is 0121 747 8100 - I am sure they can help and advise you etc..

You will probably get the standard cut & paste reply from the TO's saying "we know of no outstanding issues at this hotel .. blah de blah de blah" - all a load of tosh and pretty standard in making you look/feel "abnormal" for wanting to enjoy your holiday!! (We only work and save all year for these - but hey who are we customers to expect enjoyment?)

The people at HTW will help you whether it is lousy bug bitten rooms, inedible foods or complete ruined holidays etc.. they can help and will show you your best way forwards - don't accept any offer of vouchers etc.. till you take proper advice etc..

Hope that helps anyone with a problem over holiday stuff.

Liz :0)

England
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Hi Everyone

First time posting here .We complained to Thomas Cook about

the Occidental Allegro (Pool closed for 1st week and booked as 4 star but downgraded to 3 star without notification) .We so far

have been offered a voucher for £520 . should we accept as this is a lot off the next holiday

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Paulipops

Follow my advice as above before you accept anything from the TO's make sure you are getting the best advice etc.. - The TO's will palm you off with anything

livingston, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

Hi Paulipops what was the cost of your holiday if you dont mind me asking?? £520 sounds a lot of money, especially putting it towards a holiday, but you had to do without a pool for a week. Keep us informed.

P.s Thanks a lot for all your advice its really appreciated. I will keep you informed as to the outcome.

England
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anybody had to put in a compensation claim

We paid full price -came to about £3000 for 2 weeks for 2 adults and 2 kids - so we recont that the compensation is about 1 weeks of the hotel fees.