We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BlueBay Tips and Advise

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
BlueBay Tips and Advise

Hey there! We are heading to BlueBay 6/16 for a quick 4 day trip for our anniversary. I am looking for any tips you all may have. We booked the Silver package through United Vacations. Am curious about dress codes for the restaurant. I am a little nervous about some of the recent reviews so any information you have about this resort would be greatly appreciated.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
474 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

Just go with an open mind, hope you get a decent room and don't worry, there are no dress code in main buffet, only in a la carte which to be honest isn't as good as the buffet in my opinion.

Nice resort with no kids. Take a flask or drink canister with u for daytime drinks, it'll keep them cold.

Enjoy

Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

Thank you so much! We were just talking about not doing the a la carte and just taking khaki shorts and polos for the hubby. Would that be ok for the buffet? With flip flops? What is the grill I hear people talking about?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,073 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

Yes that will be fine for him at the buffet. A few years ago I did eat at the Asian restaurant there and found it very good.

BObK

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

At this time of year there shouldn't be a problem getting a decent room. When we were at the resort in February we really enjoyed the grill and seafood restaurants. The quality of the beef had really improved.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
474 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

I wore flip flops every night, the grill restaurant was the best out of all of them. Found the Asian one tasteless and the options not great to choose from.

You'll enjoy it. Rooms 5000-8000 are recommended as away from the very noisy stage area.

Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

You guys are great! Thank you for the info!! Do you have to have long pants for the grill?? We are only taking carry on luggage so just want to make sure we have what we need.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

The grill restaurant is more relaxed and has no A/C so long pants are not necessary.

Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

Thank you so much!!!!!

Paisley, Scotland...
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

The only thing about not wearing long pants is you run the risk of getting a nibbled on by critters :P

Other than that like the others have said there's no real dress code.

I think I even seen someone in their beachwear with a towel round them one night in the Al A Carte.

The good thing about the Grill is it's big windows so you do get a bit of a sea breeze so that is good. They put the blinds down too so you don't get sand in your food.

Personally I didn't rate the fish restaurant. The absolute worst service and food I've ever encountered but others swear by it.

If you've seen my review I had a very mixed stay at BlueBay so I wish you luck in getting what you pay for.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 16:50
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BlueBay Tips and Advise

One evening I saw 3 men turned away from the seafood restaurant because they were wearing shorts. It seemed there was a steady parade that night of men being inappropriately dressed.