We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

Hi,

I will be traveling with my parents to Puerto Plata on 8 June and was curious for some recommendations on what to do in the area that is NOT part of the resort scene. Is there anything local that is a "must do"? I'd also be interested in some recommendations for good restaurants. I will be traveling with my parents and they are not able to do as much physical activities, so, something leisurely and involving only a bit of walking in the area would be great!

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

A good thing to do would be to take a taxi to a restaurant called el Molina de cumbre .in the mountains above Moca. A beautiful ride there through the mountains + great views from the restaurant over the cibao valley. The restaurant also serves great local dishes such as goat stew.

You could also arrange a trip into Puerto plata interesting centre or further to la Isabella the place where Columbus established the first settlement in the Americas before moving to santo dingo.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

A half day or whole day city tour with a cab driver. Visit the Teleferico lift (best in the morning), tour Brugal Factory, Haitian Market, Ambar Museum, Fort, Malecon, shop at La Sirena, etc. Negotiate for $50 1/2 day and $100 whole day.

Day trip to Sosua Beach or Cabarete Beach.

Hang by the pool drinking rum runners all day? lol

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

Both the above are excellent choices and will take two days to do. Do get the goat stew at Molina's, it is the best I have had here.

BObK

Sherburne, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

The teleferico is great, but I do not believe they have an elevator and there are stairs to climb. We did take my 84 year old mother, we just had to go slowly. She did not do the walk around the area at the top, though. We sat her down with a rum and a great view while the rest of us toured the top. If you go there, hire "Santa"! He was very entertaining!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

You can also drive to the top and not take the cable car or stairs.

BObK

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for these options. I have jotted them down and will explore them when I get there! :)

Happy Monday!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

Good idea to drive to the top, Teleferico is a good thing to do in the morning before the clouds come in.

8. Re: What's popular to do in Puerto Plata with older parents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:15