We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas and New Year 2014

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas and New Year 2014

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can give me some good advice on the best place for my bf and I to visit in the Domincan for Christmas and New Year holiday. I have done a bit of research and see that puerto Plata is the livliest place for that time of year, although correct me if I am wrong! :-)

I am 28 and my bf is 33. We both like the usual nice relaxing beaches, good choice of restaurants, bars etc. and looking for somewhere that includes this amd isn't too quiet but not in your face! Picky I know ;)

We have been told by friends and family to pick a resort and not to leave it due to the crime that goes on, is this correct?

We would like to fly out around 22/23 December 2014 and return around 3/4th January 2015.

My bf has given me the task of finding somewhere in the Dominican with a budget of £2500 inc flights. After doing a little research this buget seems unlikely from what I have seen. Do you think this is possible on this buget? may have to be doing some overtime if not! ;)

Thank you

Dominique x

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

Hi Dominique,

You and your boyfriend have chosen the most expensive time of year to travel, you will not find a resort with the budget you mentioned for 2 people over Xmas and New Year travelling from the UK.

<<We have been told by friends and family to pick a resort and not to leave it due to the crime that goes on, is this correct? >>

No this not correct, it is perfectly safe to get off resort and see something of the beautiful island, the DR is perfectly safe just use the same precautions as you would do at home or going anywhere new in the world.............don't go flashing the cash around or wearing expensive jewellery. Get out and explore you will love the place. Taxis are needed at night as there is no public transport running after a certain time.

For what you are looking for I would suggest you do some research on Casa Marina Beach/Reef in Sosua or Viva Wyndham Tangarine in Cabarete but you will have to find an independent travel company to put together your holiday as these 2 properties are not offered by Thomson who is the only operator that flies to Puerto Plata.

Try giving Caribbean Warehouse a ring as they come highly recommended.

http://caribbeanwarehouse.co.uk/

Angie.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

Thank you so much for your response Angie! Brilliant advice, I'll get in contact with them and see what they can do.

Thank you very much xx

3. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 22:05
Edited: 20 June 2014, 22:05
Coventry
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

I would say leave it to the last minute to book if you can. A couple of years ago we booked about 2 weeks before Christmas and got a deal to see in new year in Puerto plata for £600 each 2 weeks all inclusive

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

Do look at Tangerine in Cabarete. It is a short 8 min walk to the center of town where the beach is lined with restaurants, bars and clubs and the party goes on to the wee hours of the morning.

BObK

Edited: 21 June 2014, 03:42
6. Re: Christmas and New Year 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16