We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Hi everyone! My girlfriend and I are traveling to the DR on Sunday and it's our first time there. We'll be staying at The Tropical, booked through Cheap Carribean. I've been browsing the forums and picked up a lot of useful info but still had some questions I was hoping someone could help me answer:

-Does the Lifestyle resort complex have a general store on site? I've read that they tend to not stock the mini fridge after the first day and I like to keep beer in my room because, well, I'm Irish and like a beer with a shower in the morning.

--Does anybody know what the hours are for the bars/restaurants?

--I've read that the pools and beaches close at sundown, is this true? Do they prevent you from walking on the beach after a certain time?

--How are the locals in the DR? I've travelled to Costa Rica a couple of times and once you're out side of San Jose most of the country is very laid back, I always felt perfectly safe, is the DR similar?

--The resort apparently overcharges for excursions, does anyone have recommendations for companies we can use to book excursions other than through the resort?

--Our reservation says that we are allowed use of the Cofresi as well, is that within walking distance? Is the Cofresi any better than The Tropical?

--Are there any local shops/bars/restaurants outside of the Lifestyle resort that are within walking distance that we can check out?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Let me try to answer some of your questions as we go to lifestyles frequently for mini escapes with CC specials. First do note that with this booking you will not get 5* anything. But the VIP beach is nice and the alcohol is more top shelf "like". You probably will be assigned to one or two ala carte meals and the rest is the buffet. And they do NOT restock your mini frig.

1. there is s store or two around for purchases on the complex. However if you are taking a cab to the resort and not a prepaid transfer offer the cabbie an extra $10 and have him stop at la Sirena (large dept/grocery store) for beer, wine, booze and snacks.

2 Pools do close at 7 or so. Yes you can walk the beach but the access is limited after dark

3. People here are great. Yes do get out and see some of the area. We actually have never felt unsafe here.

4. Unfortunately you can only book with the resort . You can try contacting James James in Playa Dorada: https://sites.google.com/site/toursbyjames/ as he may have some type of arrangement with the management.

5. Confressi is right next door. I like the facilities at Tropical better. The buffet at Confressi is pretty good and many nights better than Tropical

6. There are a few restaurants and shops along the beach walking towards Ocean world but that is it. The resort is pretty isolated.

Hope this helps, keep a good attitude and you will have a great time.

BObK

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Bob is correct on all answers,

There are 4 stores on the complex, 2 on Tropical side and 2 in the Cofresi lobby area.

Beaches close at 5.

The excursions are a little more but pretty comparable as booking right online.

The people all seem fantastic in my opinion.

Yes there there is at least one little plaza with stores and restaurants a couple of minutes walk towards Ocean World from the Cofresi lobby.

If you are arriving this Sunday the 20th your dinner will be at the welcome party and they have a Temptations Review band playing that night.

Hope this helps, actually we are heading there tomorrow.

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like all our needs will be covered, can't wait to get there!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

You are welcome and you will have a great time.

BObK

Oviedo, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

Carl, how was your trip, We leave on Monday the 28th. What's your advice on what to bring, buy, do, eat, etc. Thanks

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

I would recommend bringing snacks with you and buying sunblock, an antacid and buy spray before you go. They do have a store but friends we met while there said they bought sunblock at the store on site and it cost like $15. Our fridge was always refilled with water and soda. If not can always ask for more :)

Go to Confresi for food, its better and a short walk

Book excursions through C.C at their booth. You can negotiate. We did and got a good price. Would recommend the waterfalls!

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

The trip was good. Bring lots of sunblock as it costs as much as $30 at the gift shop. I didn't realize you could haggle with the CC tour people so we payed full price for the waterfalls and smaller catamaran snorkel trip, both were very fun but I enjoyed the catamaran more. You can also take a taxi for $75 to sosua beach which is beautiful with clear water and great snorkeling. The cab driver was very nice and actually waited on the beach for us for 2-3 hours. He introduced us to his friend that owned a small restaurant on the beach, they watched our stuff while we swam and we were able to try Mofungo, which was awesome! Tips are not expected but they do get you better service (especially when you're trying to get a thermos filled with beer so you can go relax in your hotel room for a bit). If you walk down the beach towards Ocean World there's a nice little stretch of beach where the locals hang out, it's close enough to the resort that you don't have to be concerned about safety and it's a little more relaxing down there.

I liked Puerto Plata but I don't think I would stay at a Lifestyle resort again. They are way too party for me (but we still had a great time). To give you an idea of the level of partying that goes on there: on our first day there, Sunday, there was a huge show put on by The Temptations with thousands of people in attendance right on the Lifestyle property (the accompanying buffet was easily the best food we had the whole trip). The food for most of the trip was good but it got old by day 7. We had no problem getting additional reservations for the restaurants but really only enjoyed the Mexican and Dominican (try the sacocho!). The Asian and Italian were not very good and we ended up back at the buffet those nights. The rooms were very clean and the staff was all very nice. The welcome gift/tour thing was kind of a pain but we just made it very clear that we were not interested in buying anything from the beginning and they didn't waste too much of our time. They are very persistent but you can completely skip the tour all together with a few firm no's. If I were to return to the area I would definitely stay at a resort closer to Sosua or I hear Cabaret is very nice. The beach in Cofresi bay is not bad but it wasn't any better than the beaches I'm used to in Central Florida.

8. Re: First trip to the DR, staying at Lifestyle Tropical Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:15