We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Puerto Plata?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Puerto Plata?

Can anyone provide me with info.? Canadian driver...looking to rent a car for a week or two to visit with friends in Santo Domingo and Santiago?

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

If you are not used to driving in the DR I would not recommend it. However, I would check all the big companies-Alamo, National, Hertz, etc. I am renting a midsize car 3/23-3/27 in Puerto Plata and its costing $41 (US) a day through Alamo.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

Great thanks for the reply how about insurance cost?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

I'm not purchasing insurance because my own car insurance covers rentals. If you check out the different rates, it will show you the insurance rates.

soo ontario
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

I rent a car every six months in the Dom. I have extra car rental insurance that I am able to us in Canada and the U.S.A. For some reason this coverage is no good in the Dom. My car ins. is with Allstate. Now maybe it is just my company. At any case bring a copy of the coverage from you insurance company.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

wow! all I can say is that you must be very brave. As our guide told us, on one trip in the Dominican the road rules are "there are no rules". They drive like crazy people. We saw 5 people on one small moped! We were also told by one of our entertainment staff (a Dominican) that there are no drink drive laws over there. But good luck anyway!

Toronto
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

Dont rent a car there! I have been down there many times. There are no real driving laws there. (was told first hand by locals)Scooters are everywhere. with sometimes more than 3 people on them. ALso alot of drinking and driving. Take cabs or even the local bus,,keep away from a car rental. It is not worth the problems.

Washington
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Puerto Plata?

I find a logical flaw in most of the postings about renting a car in DR. True, if you have never driven in a third world country you should know that most traffic laws are not respected in rural areas of DR. However, this goes for the driver of the taxi you will be hiring as well. With you behind the wheels, you will increase your chance of survival by at least 50 %. I think you will do just fine if you look for the oncoming traffic, do not trust stop lights, and while you are at it watch for the traveling farm animals. No matter how courteous your taxi driver is, there is no substitute for being in control of your car, navigating through every little road and village you desire to check out.