We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locals in the hotels at weekends

Hereford
Level Contributor
89 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
locals in the hotels at weekends

I have been keeping an eye on the reviews for the hotel we will be staying at in November/December and there are quiet a few negative comments regarding the large influx of locals taking over the hotel at weekends. Is this an all year round happening or seasonal?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

Don't pay any attention to it, it's not an issue.

Candia, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

This is a good question and you're brave for asking as in the past people get an "Obama" response "you're all racists"! We try to avoid spring break to miss the out of control college students and certainly don't want to have the experience with any group. Locals visit AI's (as do cruise ship people) in many countries but they don't come in and exhibit the behaviors described (often) in posts. I hope you get a reasoned response and more importantly I hope these hotels catch a clue and provide order ALL THE TIME.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 09:09
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

Yes they allow locals in. It is their country after all and they like taking vacations as well. Usually not a problem. Usually drunk tourists are a much bigger problem.

Relax and enjoy your vacation and who knows you might even meet a local Dominican or two to have a conversation with.

Note I am on my good behavior today :D

BObK

manchester
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

I'm here now at weekend ! Don't fret ! Yes it's a little bit busier but can't distinguish the local guests from international & the service does not suffer

Hereford
Level Contributor
89 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

Can I just clarify that nowhere in my op does it infer that I am a racist or anti-locals.

I am simply asking "Is this an all year round happening or seasonal?"

I'm not going to cancel my holiday based not the replies. I'm just asking!

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

I think it might be a "low season" strategy... Obviously if the hotels are full then there are no empty rooms to fill.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

Apart from about 3 months a year and Dominican holidays,most of the resorts in Puerto Plata have barely a 30% occupancy rate during the week. If it wasn't for the national visitors, the hotels couldn't stay open. The resorts are very popular on weekends and national holidays as most of the year, the rates are pretty reasonable and there's plenty of available rooms compared to resort areas in other parts of the country. So yes, most of the year (and I'm talking from after Easter until the beginning of the next year) the norm is very quiet during the week, much busier on the weekends and holidays because of the increase in dominican visitors.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

We are travelling at the end of january 2015, a while away I know but concerned about the influx of local tourists at our hotel, iberostar costa dorada. Is this likely to be the case at this time of the year

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends

Oh oh. Here we go, worldtravellerswife is going to get bombarded lol

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: locals in the hotels at weekends