We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st.paul,mn
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

First time arriving in Puerto Plata airpot, usually have arrived thru Punta Cana airport- where you walk down steps onto runway, then walk about 3 blocks into aiport. What can I expect from Puerto Plata airport.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

The airport is not bad. Not too much walking. People are very friendly and helpful. Make sure you have the $20 per person when you leave.

Toronto
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

POP airport is the same as most N.A airports. The airport has gates for arrivals and departures. After getting off the plane it's a short walk to customs. Usually not too busy. Another short walk to baggage claim,(which is sometimes confusing because your luggage doesn't always come out where it's supposed to.) Then it's about a 20 ft walk to the doors to sun and fun. As soon as you step outside there will be locals that will show you an airport ID badge and try to carry your luggage for you. A simple "no gracias" and they will leave you alone. But sometimes your bus to the resort is quite a hike through the parking lot, and may be worth the $1 or 2 to have them carry it for you. Directly outside airport you will see tour reps. with whatever company you booked with. Tell them what resort you are staying at and they will tell you what bus number to get on. No problem! Just to your left outside the airport is a outdoor bar where you can get a beer or drink incase you want to start your holiday right away. You can drink it outside and on the bus.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

sask
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

Make sure you fill out your tourist cards and keep them together when you give them to customs. Why they need both I don't know. What I do know is that this year there was a guy behind me that didn't have both (his wife who already went through had 1 of them) and they held him there untill everyone went through and then charged him I think $10 or $20 to get another one. Also make sure they give you one back so you can get out of the country (I seen that too when a guy didn't have one and it got a little messy). But this maybe the same stuff that you need in Punta Cana.

Anyway, 20 minutes after you land you should be on the bus drinking beer.

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

You will deplane just outside of the airport. Once you are in the airport you will go to customs where you will have to purchase a tourist card. US20.00ea, I believe. From there you will collect you bags and proceed to the baggage inspection area. You may be asked for money

$10.00 USD and the inspector will let you pass without inspecting your luggage (if you wish) Once outside you will be greeted by a bunch of men who will grab your bags and help you look for your transportation, for a price. This is not necessary and a firm "NO" usually works. Be aware of changing money outside of the airport. They will rip you off on exchange. Better you order $DP from your bank before you leave home. After that ................enjoy!!

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

You will de-plane just outside of the airport. Once inside you will proceed to customs. Make sure you have all of your documentation filled out correctly and if you are travelling with a spouse, stick together. Once you clear customs you proceed to pick up your luggage. You then proceed to the baggage inspection area where you "may" be asked for money and the inspector will allow you to pass without inspection. Once outside you will be greeted by men who will try to grab your luggage and assist you to your transportation. This is not necessary and a firm "NO" will suffice. Do not exchange money just outside the airport. The exchange rate is horrible. Once on your bus..........enjoy your vacation. Upon return you will be greeted by the same men trying to assist you by tking your luggage to the ticket counter. Have your documentation and departure fee ready in US funds and you are on your way. One other note, if you plan on purchasing duty free, you can usually do better in some shops downtown.

Happy trails!

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

It is nothing special....but be aware of porters. They grab your bags and then want $5.00 for a 30 second walk to the bus. Just say no, because they are very persistent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

If you get a baggage trolley and put your bags on it from the carosel, when you go out front, they see you don't really need help and just give a half hearted attempt to "help" you with the luggage. However the guy who loads it from the trolley on to the coach and his mate standing watching tried it on with us.

If you can pre purchase your tourist card from your nearest Dominican Embassy ($10 and I believe you can do it on-line), it will save some time and hassle in the airport, especially with kids. There are a load of questions about flight numbers, passport numbers, where you live, when you are leaving, where you are staying etc. and you need to fill it in twice. One part you keep give in and the other you NEED to keep for your exit from the country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

By the way, we never experienced or heard of any "luggage inspector". Probably somebody trying it on.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

The guy who took our luggage from my husband's hand to the bus asked us for $5 US as a tip....we didn't have our money with us and just said that. He didn't do anything but lift it into the baggage area...didn't think that warranted a tip there for sure.

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata Airport- what to expect

What do you think would happen if you refused to tip the baggage inspector? Is this just someone who is looking for a handout?