We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Beach??

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canuck in CA, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Nice Beach??

I have been trying to decide if I should exchange my time share to go to DR. Right now my only option is Sun Village Resort and Spa or Canoa Coral. I love pools with the swim up bars, my husband enjoys that as well but he really wants to go to a 'nice' beach. From the reviews I have read, I'm concerned that he will be disappointed.

We have been to Sandals in Ohio Rios and the resort and pools were fabulous but the beach was only as long as the resort with fences on both sides preventing further exporation. The ocean was beautiful.

We have been to Puerto Vallarta and stayed at the Mayan Palace where the pools and resort were fantastic and beach was long and Beautiful. But, it was a bit too quiet. Ocean was nice but in town I wouldn't go in it at all. Couldn't even see through it.

We have been to Cabo San Lucas and walked for miles along the beach stopping at different bars along the way eventually making it to town were there was a good night life. We loved Cabo but don't want to go to the same place twice. The ocean was nice.

We also had an awesome sunset cruise - drinks included - on a catamaran in Cabo and loved it. I don't see that as an option in DR?

1) Are there any nice beaches to walk along? Where?

(More than just the width of a hotel, no garbage, no stink, or not

so rocky that you can't go barefoot)

2) Can we walk to different bars for a drink and put our feet in the

sand while watching people engaged in water activities?

Where?

3) Are there any sunset cruises to be offered? Where?

If anyone could help me that would be super as I don't want to make an error on my trade. We only have 1 week every other year.

Canuck in CA, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Beach??

Recyling my question to put to top of list

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Beach??

sorry guys cant tell you about the beach at sun villiage, the resort is beautiful !!! i visited it one day breifly, never seen the beach. good luck

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Beach??

When we stayed at the Occidental Puerto Plata we would walk in one direction for an hour and never come to the end. In my opinion it was the best beach in that area. All the resorts in this are are all inclusive, but there is a small shopping plaza near this resort that you can go shop and have a drink or two or ....... Way at the end there was a small area of shopping stalls where they had local paintings and pareos and such for sale.

We are going back to the Occidental PP in May!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Beach??

Sorry, it is the Occidental Playa Dorada.

Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Beach??

Beaches in P.Plata are not that great. You would be disappointed,

canada
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Beach??

beach at canoa is beautiful. La Romana area has white sand and calm waters...LOVE THIS AREA.

Canoa is a solid hotel

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Beach??

Canoa is near La Romana. Solid Hilton run resort, nice beaches....not tonnes to do away from the resort. Not to the Mayan Palace quality but really relaxing. I own a timeshare with this company and they doa good job of making a fun, relaxing holiday.

SunVillage is Canadian owned in Cofresi Bay right next to Ocean World. Cofresi is like a small town with expat Cdn, Brits, Germans who live in villas on the hill near the marina. Really beautiful, safe area that you can explore. A couple of restaurants here and there to venture to off the resort.

The beach is not the white powdery sand of the Caribbean Sea at La Romana but its nice smooth sand, no rocks and stuff. Lot's waves....I like but I'm more a pool person close to the bar and all.

SunVillage I've never stayed at but one of my home resorts is next door and I've wondered around there. It is very beautiful, well run, great pools and swim up bars! Lot and lots of stairs...its built like a castly that overlooks the bar. The pools are on the top and give a great view of Cofresi Bay.

Cofresi is only 15-30 minutes away from Puerto Plata and about 45 minutes away from Cabarete so in my opinion there's way more to do on the North Shore near here. La Romana has beautiful resorts and one of the best golf courses in the world (tooth of the dog), but there's very little else to do around there. Organized excursions are available but you can do more self-exploring near PP, Cabarete and Sosua b/c there's lot's of ex-pats living there and you don't stand out like a sore thumb touristy gringo.

In either case you won't find the qualtiy of the Mexican resorts you wrote of but the adventure is why I go so often, the unexpected can be made a feature, and the people are simply great!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Beach??

Sun Village just hosted the Dominican Internatioal Film Festival so you can google that to get some pics and such.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Beach??

I posted pictures of Cofresi Bay...in CB II you can actually see the Sun Village Beach and some of the buildings for the resort.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Beach??

apparenty in takes a few days for the photos to show up. There are a few of Cofresi Bay for your Sun Village questions.