We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling KarenUK

London, United...
Level Contributor
564 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Calling KarenUK

Hey Karen,

Did you ever meet up with or hear any more about the Colchesterlady who was going at the same time as you. She used to be a regular user of the forum and was worried about going, but I don't think I've seen anything from her since she got back.

ESSEX UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi Shelet,

Thanks for asking about me.

Yes, I was nervous about going. When we booked, the reviews

were great, but soon after, the sickness problem started. I was prepared to risk it for me and my husband, but we were taking two teenagers, and I was concerned for them.

Anyway, we couldn't change resorts, so off we went , stocked with every precaution known to Boots the Chemist.

The good news is that we used none of it, except hand sanitiser. None of us were ill, and in fact, we saw no one else who was ill.

I did post a couple of times from the Mambo to say all was well, and I have posted since my return to say it is not inevitable that you will get sick, to re-assure other nervous travellers.

I did look out for CoconutPalm and Karen , who were there at the same time as I would have like to have met them both- but I saw no one who seemed to fit the bill. Shame, as after weeks of using this forum , it would have been good to have had a face to face chat.

Anyway, we had a good time, and our girls had a great time.

They are keen to go again in the summer, but I am keeping a keen eye on these reviews before I book, as the sickness seems to be featuring again. Hope that is wrong for anyone due to go.

Take care

X

London UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi Colchesterlady,

I'm glad to here that you you had the same fantastic time that we experienced whilst staying at the Riu Mambo, the only thing we came away with was a tan great memories!

Your right it was a shame we didn't meet up for a chat over a cubre libre, we also kept a lookout for some of the TA members that were holidaying at the same time, but its a big place and it was quite busy when we where there.

I hope the posts that I made whilst at the Mambo helped to reasure you a little?

Considering going back in the summer? Lucky you! Our tans could do with a bit of a top up now! lol

We all had a great time at the Riu's and would recommend these resorts, we went back after our first visit only nine months later! Both times it was great!

London, United...
Level Contributor
564 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi Cholchester Lady and Coconut Palm,

I too am glad you had a great time. It is quite safe to say that it was really the first time in many years that we were absolutely gutted to be leaving a holiday. Even better than that, I just got my Visa bill through for the period we were away and found that it is down on average by about as much as we paid for the 2 weeks in paradise. Theres got to be something said for going for 4 weeks next time!! Don't think it will be as soon as the summer unfortunately.

Time will tell, but the reports of sickness this time seem to be more of a food type outbreak.

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi ColchesterLady! I did keep a look out for you but didnt get to see you, although the second week we weren't really around a great deal mainly because we were sick for the most of the second week.....

Glad to hear that you didnt get sick, and that you had a great time and I hope that you will have a good time whenever you get to go back. From a personal note we won't be returning to the Riu's again in POP and unlikely to choose the Dom Rep, but so glad all is well...Im sorry we didnt get to meet up, we did get to the Mambo quite a bit as little one preferred the kids club there, but as I said..second week was a non starter for us. Am now doing battle with the medical insurance and awaiting test results from the Docs, little one due to see him again this morning....

Best Wishes

Karen x.

ESSEX UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi Shelet, Coconut and Karen

This is a message to you- My TA friends- but also I suppose to anyone due to go to the Riu's.

As previously stated, we went to the Riu's in Feb and all was well

Reports of sickness, prior to us going, were rife- I was dreading it. But we were fine- all four of us.

So much so that I have booked today- 15th July for 2 weeks.

Our girls are beside themselves with joy.

I appreciate that recent reports have not been good, but they are nowhere near as bad as reviews in Jan/Feb. I think that having experienced the worry prior to going and the reality, it is certainly worth the risk to re-visit, and this time I will not worry. Hope this gives anyone due to go, some confidence!

Karen, I hope your son is recovering well.

Shelet and Coconut- I know you also had a good time- perhaps I might see you in July?

PS, Coconut- Your posts from the Mambo saying all was well were a great help- made me feel loads better. Proof that this forum does have value.

Take care X

London, United...
Level Contributor
564 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hey LuckyladyfromCholchester,

I think I'll rename myself JealousofKent.

We are pretty sure to go back sometime, but unfortunately I doubt if it will be this summer. Thought of Easter next year for three weeks, (eldest doesn't miss as much school) but price hike is prohibitive. Probably settle for Feb next yr again, but that seems sooooo far away. August is very tempting.............

Watch this space.

Hey CocoP,

Howz the gamblers anonymous going?? Our Rehab and Detox clinics are drawing to a close now so we can start planning our next trip. I think Reb is sending some photos through.

Hey Karen,

I took a walk past the Greeting Meeting on the day you were due to be there but didn't see anybody who seemed to fit the mental picture I had built up. Looks like you booked and enjoyed a few trips. We only did a couple. The Whale watching was a fantastic experience, although in hindsight I would have preferred to make my own way to Samana Bay and book with Kim Beddall. I don't think the Thomsons boat particularly follows the Code of Practice. But getting long distances in a foreign country, not speaking the language and with two kids in tow makes the easy option more attractive. I'll have to live with my conscience

Ocean World, less than 10 mins from the complex was my eldest's dream come true.

Hope your little one and you are now fully recovered.

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hey Shelet,

I know what you mean about OceanWorld! It was something Im so glad we experienced and glad to have the video to look back at too!

We are unfortunately still unwell, little one still under doctors and on another round of treatment....and about to undergo further tests. he cannot stomach any food, and gets ill when travelling in a car because his stomach has been so effected by the violent sickness he had. Im still battling with both the bronchitis side of the illness and sickness also....would have hoped it would be clearing by now having been back for just over 2 weeks.

Hey - who's the person lucky to be going away again...altho saying that we have booked for August but going to majorca and looking for somewhere in October half term. As ive said, we will not be choosing to return to the Riu's in Pop and for some years to come wouldnt choose the Dom Rep again. maybe the east/south coast when little one is older.

Enjoy everyone x

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi Colchesterlady Hope you dont mind me asking but how old are your girls,is the entertainment good and is there lots for them to do day and night? We are going Aug 9th 17y boy 14y girl hoping to not see much of them lol. What are the rooms like we have booked two.do u think we may be best having a suite? thanks alot

ESSEX UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling KarenUK

Hi

Our girls are 16 and 15. It is actually my daughter and her best friend- so we booked 2 seperate rooms. This worked out well, as we asked for adjacent rooms when booking, and this is what we got. I can't comment on the suites, because I did not see them, but both rooms had 2 large beds, and you can have privacy in the bathroom, so it would be suitable for a brother and sister.

The girls could be independent there - they made their own way to breakfast, found a sunbathing spot for the day, and ate lunch on their own as well.

There are activities going on the day, and I believe they did join in some of them

We met up in the evening for dinner and then they went off on their own,- they sat in one of the bars and watched the shows.

They tried the disco on their last night and said it was great. You are supposed to be 16 to get in, but there are no adult/over 16 years wristbands so my 15 year old had no problem.

I felt very relaxed about safety issues, because the hotel is secure. The only people there are other tourists.

In my opinion, it is great for teenagers because as it is a complex of 3 hotels, there are lots of different bars/shows for them to go to, but as a parent you have the comfort of knowing that they are on the complex . It gives them some freedom, but in a controlled environment.

The girls absolutely loved it there.

I will say that they had no problem being served alcohol. They have a sensible attitude towards drinking and had a couple of drinks, maximum, a night, but as a parent, it is a factor to consider.

We have been to the DR 3 times before this trip and this is the best place that we have found for teenagers.

You can all have your own space , but the parents do not have the worry .

Hve a great holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata