We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parque Nacional del Este

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
867 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Parque Nacional del Este

Has anyone done any hiking in this park? I read there are a couple trails that are accessible from Bayahibe. I don't know if that means you can walk right into the park or would still have to drive in to reach any trails? Anyone have any insight?

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

Yes, you can hike in the park but I believe that you need a guide. You would want to stay on the forged paths (as with most National Parks worldwide), but in this case it would be for the preservation of the park as well as to avoid rubbing up against irritating plants and encountering the native tarantulas, etc.

The area off which the park can be found is referred to as Dominicus and when you stand in Bayahibe town (beside Casa del Mar) you are a looooong way from the park. You would definitely have to drive to the south end of Dominicus to access the park. I would recommend finding a local to get you there who may also serve as a guide. I have some contacts in the area so I'll try to get you more info on how to effect that.

There is a poster here at TA called "ratherbefishing" who I believe did one of these forays into the park. I don't know if she's around these days to read your post, but you can search it/her to see what was said in the past. I may be wrong on who it was though.

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Raleigh
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

I would be interested in this too.

Thanks.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

Hi! I already sent a reply to stl cardinals through trip advisor....I haven't been here (on this forum) for a while....but yes, the hike was definitely worth it. There are caves there too. We ended up stumbling upon our 'little' hike thru the park...walked down the beach from Canoa Coral and we were there. The guide that took us thru, (spoke no english) showed us a pavillion that had pictures of the caves. If we were to do it again we would definitely want to explore the caves more. It would have been nicer to do it on our own (athough we never would have found it on our own) On our way out, we met another couple coming in on their own, without a guide. They knew about the caves because they asked us how much longer before they were there....It was a very, very long hike but so worth it!

.....just all part of the adventure!....(it took us three hours...from the time we left CC until we returned...)

FYI...wear running shoes...the trail is partly coral.....make sure you bring water...we didn't have any because we weren't planning on doing a hike like that!

Rose

Mentioned in this post
Canoa
Canoa
64 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Village Green, Los...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

Is the Parque merely at the border of the Casa Canoa resort? Does one hire a tour through Apple, etc., or merely retain one of the wait staff when off duty?

How long of a hike (in minutes/hours) are the caves located?

Mentioned in this post
Canoa
Canoa
64 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

The only problem with theses tours is that you can now only enter the National Park accesing from the beach, as the only path left is private property of Cadaques Caribe.

This means a HOT walk.... so bring along some liquids, and don't left behing the mosqueito repellent.....

6. Re: Parque Nacional del Este

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 02:16