We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
montreal
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

I cannot for the life of me understand the "exaggerated" negative reviews by people like "jaredu" about the Sunscape Casa del Mar. I just read that review. The only thing I can agree on is if you land in Punta Cana it will be an 1 1/2 hour drive..but not if you land in La Romana airport (20 minute drive). They claim that it's the "malaria" capital of the world..why would you go there if that's what you believe it to be??? And that many tourists have died on the road being transported from the airport to the resort?? News to me! That reviewer's claims that the food was awful is "astonishing" to me and absolutely not true. And afraid it will give them hepatitis?? I've travelled alot in the south and can tell you the food there was the best I've had at any all-inclusive resort....and it was good! It's almost as if they weren't at the same resort I was at. It's like night and day! Another thing that is true it is in an isolated small community of Bayahibe and not busy Punta Cana. But really this review reeks of fraud.

Also they claim the beach was awful and nothing like the Caribbean? Give me a break....you will see in my photos that the beach is very much an authentic azure blue Caribbean beach. How can anyone claim it isn't when the proof is in the pictures?? That just proves how desperate that reviewer is to discredited the Sunscape Casa del Mar and Bayahibe. Look at my photos and see they are so obviously lying. (webshots.com type in TropicalSeaSplash )

I'm sitting here with my jaw wide open totally perplexed by that review and a couple others. It's not that I have a problem with anyone posting their experience within an "understandable" reason of which I could agree to (such as the long drive if you land at the Punta Cana airport instead of La Romana airport...but some of the other claims are just 'way off the map" of what I know about the place. And the beach not being "Caribbean" enough and dark like the Atlantic...is such a glaring and obvious lie and attempt of exaggeration. The lie detector is overheating on that review bigtime!

Sometimes I wonder if such reviewers have an agenda business wise (other resorts in the area, other vacation destinations and promoting them over this local). Honestly competition is fierce these days but really to make such exaggerated untruthful claims is beyond fair. I just had to speak up because it's a real shame to see such a wonderful place as Casa del Mar be smeared with such nonscence.

The biggest loser of all is people truly looking for a great place with a great beach, nice rooms and good food in an entirely safe environment missing out on that opportunity as they are misled by ridiculously untrue reviews. Again, I just had to speak up about it. I even told my own sister last year when I came home from Sunscape Casa del Mar that if I could I would pay to send her and her husband's there ......that's how much I liked it. To recommend it to family and friends.

One thing I notice with some of those reviews is the bad english spelling. It leads me to believe that someone writing the review or reviews do not use english as a first language. Perhaps they are competitors in other destinations or resorts in the area. Who knows but it sure seems suspicious to me.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

Hi David...and I agree and feel your pain..

I take it personally...though I know I shouldn't...I get really upset and hurt when someone says those things...I wonder..where they in the same place as I was...

So I sort of stay away from the reviews and hang out here on the forums to "spread the LOVE"

I am so happy to see you posting and that you too fell in love with Casa Del MARvelous the way I and so many others have!

Thanks For Being Here David!

bb/mt

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

i agree with you David,,, but im going to play devils advocate,,, when i viewed it looks like a wonderfully runned and good looking resort,,,

but IMHO that blue steel roof is about the ugliest design i have seen at any resort,,,

and the water traffic and pollution in the water surrounding the resort is very extreme

but it is definetly not as some describe

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

Hi there NN...so glad you got to the "southside" and had a look around CDM...

Now I have never noticed a lot of boat traffic right in front of CDM...maybe down the beach a 5 minute walk away into Bayahibe where the boats for Saona leave...but not infront of the resort itself...

and the Blue roofs...oh...those are one of my favorite things...so Caribbean...

Different Strokes for Differnt Folks I guess!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Southern California
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

I was all set to book the CDM, but this review really has affected me and is forcing me to keep looking for the "perfect" resort. Our main requirement is a good snorkel beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I totally understand to take reviews with a grain of salt, but his description of the transfer scares the **** out of me! I absolutely hate anyone driving too fast or carelessly. This happened to us in Barbados, and that is the main reason I would not go back there.

We leave from LAX and I'm not having much luck in booking directly into LRM, which I now feel would be the only way I would feel comfortable. All tour companies I've found fly to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana. Any advise, suggestions, encouragement???

Thanks!!!

Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

I totally agree with you david41. Incredible is all I have to say! I wasn't going to post anything because half the time I think people write negative reviews to see how many people they can get to reply to see how many hits they can generate...(see the EdenH in the punta cana forum for example....) But I will give my two cents worth only because of the poster who was considering Casa del mar and is reconsidering based on this review....

First of all....the drive is a non-issue. And if you were staying in Punta Cana you'd be paying to travel the same road in order to get to the excursions. I've been to Cozumel and let me tell you...if you think the driving is bad in the DR you haven't seen anything!

Secondly...if your worried about malaria and hepatitis, see your doctor and get pills/shots. Unbeleivable for someone to diss a resort based on such foolishness.

And finally....the beach... truly amazing...the pics speak for themselves.

We're going to CDM for our 3rd trip to the DR and I can't wait... and if there is something at the buffet I dont' like i'll move down the isle and pick something I do like...without complaining!!!!

montreal
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

I'm glad I'm not "alone" in sharing this opinion. The one other thing that is extraordinary about that particular review is they claimed that on their way to the resort their bus driver hit someone on a scooter. Pretty outlandish. They never described in 'detail' what happen to the scooter driver. That's odd. Maybe because it's an untruthful review.

Also they claim that the resort caters to Europeans. Actually I've been to Bayahibe twice. The first time I went I stayed at the Viva Wyndham which has nice rooms and a beautiful beach. However I found it catered to Italians from Italy and the staff spoke minimal English. I found the Sunscape Casa del Mar to cater more to Americans and Canadians. So that seems like another 'zinger' untruth being spun by a clever troll.

Another thing I noticed is the person seems to be promoting Playa del Carmen. I've been to Playa del Carmen and it's gorgeous. But honestly I can see how similar Bayahibe and Playa del Carmen beaches are, and perhaps they could be rivals for tourist's dollars. So now I'm wondering if this reviewer isn't just trying to promote Playa del Carmen to scoop up the Bayahibe business traffic. I recommend both Bayahibe and Playa del Carmen and I've found the beach sand, water colour to be very similar in its Caribbean authenticity.

It's hard to believe this person isn't "negative" in life as they claim not to be when they just seem to be taking an axe (metaphorically speaking) to describing their "so-called" trip to Bayahibe and Sunscape Casa del Mar.

I just want to mention to the other poster on here who is worried about flying into Punta Cana and the drive to Bayahibe. We landed at the airport in La Romana which was only about 20 mins away from Bayahibe. I spoke to an Afro-American couple when we were there and they complained also about the long drive from Punta Cana airport to Bayahibe. They never said anything about a "dangerous" drive but they were annoyed when they found out they could have landed at La Romana airport.

I found out that Bayahibe can be represented by travel agencies as either Punta Cana or La Romana. It depends on which airport you land at and which one (airport)their agency is serviced by...your travel agent/tour operator refers to Bayahibe as either "Punta Cana" or "La Romana". Bayahibe is actually in La Altagracia province..the same as Punta Cana. However the airport at the province of La Romana is closer to Bayahibe. Here's a map link:

caraibivacanze.com/40/…santo-domingo-map.jpg

If you can ... avoid the long drive by landing at La Romana airport.

montreal
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

To make it easier. If your travel agent is sending you via Punta Cana airport they're likely to state that Sunscape Casa del Mar is "Punta Cana". If your travel agent is sending you via La Romana airport they're likely to state that your destination of Sunscape Casa del Mar is "La Romana".

Bottom line is that Sunscape Casa del Mar is in Bayahibe.

La Romana's airport is approximately 20 minutes away from Bayahibe (Sunscape Casa del Mar) while Punta Cana's airport is 1 1/2 hours away.

Try to land at La Romana airport and avoid a long drive.

montreal
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

Here's another map..unfortunately you will have to compare it to the other map I posted to see the distance difference between Punta Cana airport and La Romana airport and where Bayahibe figures into that scenario since I can't find a single map that shows both airports, Punta Cana and Bayahibe resort towns.

gooddive.com/images/dominican-republic-map.g…

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

We all have differing views on so many points raised here.

We all decorate our homes differently and pass judgment on the taste of others, thinking ours is much better. It's actually just "different." The same applies to the colour of the rooves of the buildings at CDM which I too see as a beautiful and distinctive feature of this complex. I call it "Casa del Mar blue" and have clothing, jewelery and even a curling iron in that colour! I'm not offended when somebody says it's unattractive.

Many people are horrified at the driving and roads in the Dominican Republic. I think it is unpredictable enough that I leave it to the masters and luckily haven't come close to being involved in a personal incident. There are many potholes and many fast accelerations and quick stops, but I've been through the same with drivers in North America too. How many of us have tried to brake while in the passenger or back seat? Potholes, poor lighting and not knowing the conditions are among the reasons I don't recommend renting a car, but in all the people who post on this forum about the roads or drivers, how many have been in accidents? The drive may be scary if you don't take to that kind of thing, but as far as it goes, it's pretty safe.

I see what appear to be inconsistencies in the review(s) of this property and others too, but I hope that people who are really researching a property won't take a single or couple of reviews in isolation and continue looking for the perfect resort. In the first place, it's not out there. In the second place, if this reviewer is making comments that appear to fly in the face of most or even quite a few from the past, they should be disregarded. I don't go so far as to say the review was a plant or malicious, but maybe it's one man's experience. You have to look at when they traveled (August of 2007, if I remember correctly) making you wonder what took them so long to submit. I know anything can happen and I can procrastinate with the best of them but the more time that passes, the less reliable the review. Being hurricane season, there may've been a storm brewing making the water Atlantic blue instead of Caribbean blue-green. It may've been at the time when there are way more European travelers than Americans (which does happen in the summer, for sure). I laugh at the reviews saying that the food is inedible. I think this reviewer was the one saying "don't believe anybody who says it isn't." Funny, I really really enjoy the food at CDM! But I keep trying thinigs until I find what they do that suits my palate and what isn't my style. I like my chocolate rich and fudgy. The chocolate desserts at CDM aren't usually my speed, but that's how I found the terrific Tres Leches Cake! I guess my food tastes aren't to be given any credit but this reviewer's are.

When you see 10 people say they like the food and 10 people say they didn't, you know it could go either way. When 15 people say it's fine and 5 say there was "nothing to eat", you can pull from that what you will.

Many of us haven't the option of flying into La Romana. I did for my first two years but since then I've been flying into Santo Domingo and Punta Cana and not minding the drives. I take pictures out the window and enjoy getting to see more of the country. In some areas of Punta Cana even, it will take 60 minutes to get from the airport so for this reviewer to have wished he'd stayed in PC might not have made a ton of difference. I am one of the people who likes to leave the hotel (not always as part of a guided tour) so seeing the area around the hotel is always enjoyable for me. I wonder how far afield this reviewer went in his pursuit for something interesting to see if he hated the long drive and then claims that there is NOTHING to do in the area. That makes my 15 page PDF document I created on the activities and things to do and see in the area a bit redundant.

The summary of the review is that any country is better than the DR. This is also not just a review of a hotel, it's a review of a nation. Yikes.

I continue to maintain that one take all reviews with a grain of salt--both the good and the bad. Look for repeated comments that make sense in the context of the review and if you feel like you need more proof of something, see if you can get it. I know that some may consider my viewpoint unreliable (I clearly love this area of the country). Look for facts and photographic proof of a claim. It's hard to take a picture of hepatitis, but you should be able to find out if the country you intend to vacation in is indeed the malaria capital of the world. If you find that it is, you might be well advised to pick another vacation destination!

Kaki

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Reviews about Sunscape Casa del Mar are Ridiculous

I defenetelly and totally agree with you, David.

There are a lot of "Travel hypocondriacs" around the world, that just complain for the sake of camplaining. People who actually spend most of their day complaining, overexagerating things, and looking for bad things to photograph... and actually forget about their vacation.

Working at Hotels for years, I saw this everyday. Sometimes, made me laugh, sometimes left me with eyes and mouth wide open...

Trustthesun...I hope you reconsider an take some other reviews in mind.

I'll tell you that these eyes of mine have read some crazy reviews of european people (and Im european) who SWEAR that if you go to United States you'll be more likely to be killed at a terrorist attack!.... or if you go to or if you go yo Spain you'll be killed by a bull!...or if you go to St. Peters square in venice you'll die Toxoplasmosis (from the doves) and die at some hopital in Italy.

I tell you this: Those reviews are just as exagerated as this one about CDM.... trust me...

Imagine... there are people who actually complain at cruises, saying that after a while, there is no more ship to walk on!!!! isn't that ridiculous?