We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Kat and me are back from CDM. We were there June 30th to July 8th. Here is my unbiased opinion of the trip.

We arrived at La Romana airport and were greeted by a man holding a sign with my name on it. We had booked the transfer with Club Caribe and found this to be very nice. The ride to the resort was about 15 minutes in a nice minibus. Check in was quick and easy.

We were placed in building 1. I booked through Expedia.

After all the bad reviews I had read I was more than a little concerned about the room. When we got to the room I found it was perfect, absolutely no complaints. The bathroom was very nice, the furnishings were as nice as any 5 star resort I had stayed in. No problems with hot water or air conditioning like I had read.

The resort is very clean and the grounds are very well maintained.

We loved the beach and snorkeling even though some of the loungers were reserved by guests towels we still were always able to find a nice shady spot to lay around. The weather was my biggest surprise. It was totally awesome. Not too hot or humid as I had expected. We sat on our balcony in the evening feeling extremely comfortable, refreshed by the Caribean breeze.

On July 4th there was a live band that really rocked. It was crazy seeing so many people dancing on the beach enjoying themselves. They played songs from Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springstein, as well as many 60's era American rock. When they did the YMCA song the crowd went wild. They also had Spanish songs mixed in. They were finally told to stop playing around midnight because CDM had a bonfire scheduled for the beach. I'm sure they would have played much longer as they were really rocking. It will be one of my most memorable 4th of July holidays ever.

The food was the worst part of the trip. Not that I ever went hungry or couldn't find something to eat, it was just not flavored very well.

I ended up having toast and bacon for breakfast most of the time because I felt good about it. The omelets were good but too filling for the start of a day on the beach.

Every day except Sunday they had the fruit boat on the beach operating. Loved the fresh coconut and cantalope. We also ate at Oceana and Jungla the ocean grill. Every meal I asked Kat how her food was and she always replied, okay. She then asked me and I said okay. Not until we were back in the states did she reply good.

The bars were incredible. Never waiting more than a minute at the longest. We really liked Cecilia and Wandy. They were very happy good people. The kind you would love to hang out with at home.

I can't say enough about guest services. Everyone was very helpful and it was such a pleasure to meet Kerry. For those that don't know, she speaks English and has a great tan.

The resort and staff were nicer than I ever imagined they could be. I would recommend CDM to my friends.

The only problem I had on the trip was after leaving La Romana we missed our flight out of San Juan because of immigration and customs. The lines were just too slow to make our connecting flight. Also somewhere between La Romana and home someone took something out of my luggage. It was a Ziploc bag of coins I had packed. I don't know why because they really weren't worth that much.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering CDM. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them

Thanks for reading,

Adios

Katsguy

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Sounds great! I guess there can easily be something middlin' about a vacation, but if overall you enjoyed it, that's the best thing! Thanks for your honest comments. I'd rather hear the truth, even if it hurts, than fluff said to make me happy. That applies to hotel reviews too!

Pictures coming? I hope so!

Kaki

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Hey there Kats! So glad you enjoyed and had a good time..

I hope tyou will be posting a review also on the review section here...and over on the Sunscape Forum.

can't wait to see you pics if you care to share!

Welcome Back!

bb/mt

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Was wondering about the drinks too- a lot of the recent reviews say they only have local drinks. Yet the website says international premium drinks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Hi Sackie,

Unless they have changed since June...I found that the "best brands" were to be found up by the lobby bar...

some of the other bars like the pool bar and beach bar had less of a "brand name" selection.

Katsguy...did you find that too?

happy Travels

bb/mt

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Balto - do you think it might be upgraded once they change to Dreams since it does have a certain standard to uphold? Do you know if they carry Bailey's?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Sakie,

My guess is yes to both of those. Though at Dreams not ALL bars carry the "brand stuff"...

The Dreams that I have been to...there are more "branded liqours" throughout...but it always seems as if there are at least 2 bars in any given Dreams that have "top of the line"

I am thinking that will be the case at Dreams LaRomana.

Hope this helps...

Katsguy...sorry for popping in...didn't mean to highjack...

bb/mt

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Katsguy, thanks for your review. Thanks too for the tip - I'll bring some of my seasonings along when we make the trip. I suspect that "bland" is necessary in order to cater to the masses - kind of like in nursing homes. Lots of folk love one seasoning and dislike (or have an allergy to) another. I make my own herb & spice blends - some are exotic imported spices and the rest comes from my own vast herb garden. Sounds to me like we'll be wanting them along as we are both fond of our seasonings. Glad to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the resort. It will be a Dreams resort by the time we get there, but all information is being gratefully assimilated!

Cheers! Storm

kent
Level Contributor
845 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

Hi all

Its good to see some positive things said about this Hotel. We booked in June 2007 for our holiday in August 2008 and hopefully things are on the way up.

We are meeting Mrswicker77 (Tripadvisor member) my Sister and Brother-In-Law out there for hopefully a SUNsational time......

Snorkelqueen7

9. Re: Back from CDM, very nice trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:17