We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Anyone been to Bahia La Romana recently, or heard anything? Hoping to get some help from the experts as I am in the process of booking this resort, and need to make a decision... there is something fishy going on with this hotel - see the facts:

- Funjet (one of the biggest midwest operators) had the following note on their website fir this hotel: "Hotel Advisories - (Travel Dates 10SEP09- 15NOV09) The hotel is currently undergoing renovations and is scheduled to re-open the end of Oct. 2009"

- Sales Rep from Bahia said the hotel is "closed now for rebuiling the beaches and clearing

sea water, will reopen 28-Oct-09"

- there are couple of "great" reviews on Tripadvisor - dated 09 and 10 October (when hotel was supposedly closed?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
148 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Hi I just had a look at those reviews and the date of travel is listed on both as May 2009 they must have just got around to writing them now. The previous one is from Aug so it doesn't seem as if there's been any reviews for a while Lesley

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Right :-)

Both reviewers went in May, and then all of a sudden decided to post reviews on 09-Oct and 10-Oct? Another red flag is the fact that both reviewers have only written one review each on Tripadvisor..

Still looking forwward to hearig from someone who has any news about this resort!!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

I replied to your other post with the same question here

http://tinyurl.com/yhy6mre

Happy travel

Denise

Toronto, Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

I am actually booked with a group for Nov.9-16/09 through WestJet. I have not received any notification of cancellation and when I spoke with Westjet, they confirmed that this week is fully booked and no renovations are taking place at this time.

Is there anywhere else that I could go to to confirm if the hotel is still available or if any renovations are being done?

I would greatley appreciate it as we are going with young children...

PS: we are flying directly into La Romana airport.

Thanks.,

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

I am hoping they resolved "murky water" issue a bit (this is why they were closed?), but there are more concerns..here is what was posted on another forum:

-construction - another hotel being built right next to Bahia La Romana?.. Noise?

- "At times there is a strong Sewage smell depending on how the wind blows. We went for a walk pas the lobby gate and discovered the sewage treatment plant is close behind the hotel and the smell was nauseating. The smell is so strong and this is clearly a problem depending on the wind" - this is in March 09.

Am getting a bit scared..

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

We are booked for April, 2010 and our travel agent told us that the resort would be closed for apx 2 months for renovations! Bahia are great resorts and I'm sure more than one place must shut down during slow seasons to do their upgrades! I will be glad to hear of the new changes, when they are up and running again!

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

We have been to other Bahias as well (Puntaa Cana and Mexico), and had a great experience.

However, Bahia La Romana has just been recently renovated from head to toe, so they did not close down for that. Per their reps, they are trying to fix the problem with the beach. This is at least 3rd attempt to do it.

Don't want my family in the resort with the bad beach, surrounded by the noisy construction. I wish I could share your optimism, but would really like to hear from someone who has been there recently.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

The resort closed on August 28, and It will reopen on October 28, 2009. They have been "working on" the beach, not cleaning it.

If interested, you can take a look at my pictures of the hotel posted at travel.webshots.com/album/563726261mFDfQn

Kaki

Toronto, Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Thanks for the update Kaki!

Very much appreciated !

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bahia La Romana - something fishy going on?

Unfortunately the murky water has been an issue and will be, because the resort is between two rivers coming in. The beach has been fixed several times already.

The closure is not for remodeling, but for the beach and water issues.

Denise