We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cholorea

Mooretown
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cholorea

Will be there Feb 15 for 2 weeks.wondering if the experts, or the residents have heard anything on this topic. we are a bit worried about going.

any help would be great

thanx

Ferg

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cholorea

Lots of info in this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k40607…

C

Selby, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cholorea

hi, returned today, after 2 weeks at GBP, la romano, ourselves and a large no other guests were violently ill for a no. of days, can only put this down to food or drinks, all staff plead ignorance of this problem, supposed hot meals were not hot on delivery and no effort was made to keep warm,keep clear of ice in drinks as we were told on good authority it was not made from purified water, we lived on bottled water and bread and butter for nearly 10 days, good luck but would recomend you to change your booking, trevor and janet

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cholorea

I can't comment on the cholera issue except to say the link in the previous post has a lot of really good information on it.

I spent a week at GBP over Christmas and none of the 4 of us suffered from any gastro issues. We ate in the buffet for every meal and only drank drinks with ice with no problems. We also drank water at every meal.

We're confident enough that we're heading back there for March break.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cholorea

As far as I know there wasn't any case in any resort in Dominican Republic. The case there were here were by Haiti border, very far from any resort, all that had / have it are Haitians returning from Haiti after visiting their families.

Dominican government banned swimming in all rivers just a precaution.

All resorts use bottled water and also buy ice that is made from purified water, so I am surprised somebody told you that is not. As you know cholera cannot be transmitted by air, you have to be in contact with the person.

All the meals are cooked well, fruits and vegetables are washed in purified water, if you wash your hands regularly, not only after using toilet then you should be fine.

Sometimes people have some stomach issues or diarrhea, but most of the time it's caused by drinking fresh juices all the time (which they don't do at home) and bigger amount of alcohol. It is rarely caused by food.

Happy travel

Denise

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,993 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cholorea

Ferg,

I think this is probably what you have heard about in the news.

http://dr1.com/news.php#3

Angie.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cholorea

You sure Demi?

I drank while I was there, but not a ton. The day I left I got sick, puking sick and the grossest diarrhea I've ever had. Could have been alcohol poisoning, but it felt different. I'm pretty sure it was something I ate that day or the day before. The food just did not seem prepared well at Gran Bahia Principe. The cured meats smelled odd, and much of the food was cold when it was supposed to be hot food. The burgers sat out for hours and did not look good.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cholorea

Well I don't work at any of the resorts and I am not related to any of them either. I haven't stayed at any of them, I live here and before I moved to this part of the country I stayed at independent hotels not AI resorts. I've met many tourists and only one of them (during the 3 + years I have been here) had any stomach issues, and she said that was from drinking too much fresh juices, but she wasn't at GBP

Of course it can happen that the food is not hot enough, but I guess that can happen at any restaurant in the world. Also each resort is different too. I am not trying to make any excuses or to be on anybody's side, just sharing my experience and experience of people I've met. If you were not happy with the food you should talk to the people from the resort.

Denise

8. Re: cholorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about La Romana