We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP " Is the beach a deal breaker???

Peterborough
Level Contributor
95 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
GBP " Is the beach a deal breaker???

Is the beach bad enough to pay hundreds extra for another resort? Although we spend a fair deal of time on the beach , How bad could it be? "Its a beach and its not snowing." and the price is 2 weeks for what you pay for 1 week in Punta Cana

Bad food and rooms would be worse. Can anyone give me an idea of room upgrades etc.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP " Is the beach a deal breaker???

The basic room at this hotel is quite lovely. They're all "junior suites" and well appointed. The room blocks are only 2 floors instead of the standard 3 so the property feels less crowded because of that as well as its ability to have fewer guests. I really enjoyed the food and service (though it's been a couple of years since I've been there). The staff is excellent (I know that some people I loved from other hotels I visited are working there now) and there's lots to see and do.

I don't personally think the beach is that bad. It's large and the views are fab and you'll be able to have more personal space than you'll get at most hotels, certainly those in Punta Cana. My only issue is the water quality. I want clear blue-green water, and when I'm on the south coast I expect that there will be the ability to snorkel. When I go to Punta Cana (and the GBPLR), I go expecting that I WON'T be able to snorkel but that's the decision I make in advance. You are going into this hotel knowing what you will get and what you won't get so only you can decide what's a deal breaker for you and what isn't.

Have you looked at the other La Romana hotels as options? They may not be cheaper than Punta Cana, but will offer you something different from your Punta Cana experience.

Contact the hotel directly with questions about room upgrades. receptiongoldenbplrm@bahia-principe.com and gerenteclubgoldenbplrm@bahia-principe.com

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP " Is the beach a deal breaker???

Returned from GBP 4 days ago & before we left we read comments about the "bad" beach & were a little concerned, but when we got there we were actually pleasantly surprised at how nice it was! We have stayed a couple times at the RIU Palace at Tropical Bay in Negril Jamaica, which is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in all the caribean, and both my wife & I said the GBP beach reminded us of that - beautiful sand wide & long to stroll & calm waters, minus the chrystal clear water. Yes, the water is a little cloudy, but when calm we were able to see some fish close to shore. Our son & his girlfiend, as well as other guests, swam in the ocean every day. If I could get an email, I can send some un-retouched photos of the beach area to show you how nicew it is. Hope that eases your concerns.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
3. Re: GBP " Is the beach a deal breaker???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 07:18