We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altos de Chavon

Davison, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Altos de Chavon

Anyone have a review and or pictures of Altos de Chavon. We are going to be at Dreams La Romana on the 24th of Feb and are thinking of taking this tour. Thank you

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altos de Chavon

I'll try to process some of my pictures quickly for sharing but I don't know if they'll be of any benefit to you before you go.

I think that the village is worth visiting, but I like to really explore an area and the amount of time that they stop here with a tour is often not very long. When I visited on my own, I was there for 4 hours. I walked all of the paths and went into the weaving studio, walked all over the Amphitheatre, did the guided tour of the museums, bought some woven rugs in the art studio (fantastic prices) and then took my standard strolling hundreds of pictures. When I'm interested in something, I hate to be rushed!

I'll let you know if I get any shots together to share in the next couple of days.

Kaki

Davison, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Altos de Chavon

Thank you so much Kaki. I have not found any info as to how long the stop is but it sounds as though we might just take a taxi and explore it on our own. I see a lot of photo opportunities myself.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altos de Chavon

I don't like the organized excursions, I prefer a taxi and be you on my own schedule and stay as long as I want.

I arranged the Alton de Chavon trip for my TA friend Emily and her friends in June last year and they paid 80 USD for the trip (that is per taxi not per person!). The driver was their private guide too. I believe he even took them to La Romana, but don't remember that anymore.

Happy travel

Denise

Davison, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Altos de Chavon

Thank you Denise. I definetly do not want to be on a time limit while there. I want to have the time to get some great photos and be able to sit and relax when we want to. Is there any certain taxi to take? I do not think we will need a tour guide. Also I have seen on the forums here about some confusion as to the cost of getting into the town, do you have any info on that.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altos de Chavon

http://www.google.com.do/images?hl=es-419&biw=1362&bih=591&q=Altos+de+Chavon&wrapid=tlif129805805848211&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SsteTaK-McSutwe28J27DA&ved=0CEYQsAQ

http://www.altosdechavon.com/cms/

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altos de Chavon

Hi dvert71,

My husbands family own some properties inside Casa de Campo and we come here a lot.

I can give you firtshand info about all the facts about entering Altos de Chavon, which is owned by Casa de Campo:

- Owners, guests of owners, and guests of the casa de Campo Hotel and rented villas DON"T pay anything.

- Guest of outside All Inclusive Hotels wearing their brazalet or showing their Hotel Room key, pay US$5 por accesing Casa de Campo, and US$5 for accesing Altos de Chavon. This gives you access to all areas except for the access to Minitas Beach, as ist completelly private for owners, guests of owners, guests of Hotel, and rented villas&apartaments.

-People from outside, of all nationalities including dominican, not wearing an all inclusive hotel brazalet, or Hotel room key, must pay US$25 pere person to access Casa de Campo, and US$5 per person to enter Altos de Chavon (alqhough here locas and residentes always get away with it...)

This doesn't give you access Tt Minitas beach either.

There is a way of not paying, which is making an advance reservation at any of the restaurants at La Marina, and asking them to send the written reservation to the main gate. Its recomemndebal to do it al least 24 hours in advance in order to avoid problems...

The only way to get access to Minitas Beach & Club is showing a casa de campo ID, or if you are in the Hotel or a villa or apartment showing proof thata you are staying there (which by the way the security guards will verify)

Davison, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Altos de Chavon

Hello Monica,

Thank you so much for the information and the site to some pictures. The more I look at the pictures the more I can not wait until I visit. I am sure I will need to have two batteries each for my cameras. From the pictures I have seen so far I think I just might like the beauty of this destination far more than all the islands of Hawaii.

Again thank you for your time to send this information.

And a big thank you goes out to Kaki and Denise for their info.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altos de Chavon

I highly recommend the private taxi for this. Denise was a great helping in sorting this out. Everisto was a great guide, he told u's about the place, took some photos of us but was never impossing. This was a great trip and stunning place to visit. If you'd like photos please send me a message and I'll look out my link.

Davison, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Altos de Chavon

@ leipere

Please if you could, send the link for your pictures. I would love to view them. Yes, I have decided to do the taxi to Altos de Chavon

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altos de Chavon

Here you go. Altos De Chevon is from about photo 270 I think.

www.kodakgallery.co.uk/ShareLanding.action…