We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

I originally thinkg of going to Dreams La Romana and we herd the beach was a bit small and the transfers from Punta Cana airport are 1.5 hours, but the beach on the on Now Larimar is better and transfers are only 20 mins.

The Dreams La Romana hotel has had excellent reviews and the last few reviews on Now Larimar had been bad (manily about the food). And they are the same price.

Please can anyone give advice on which hotel is best and is there any area better for weather in june/jully?

Regards

David

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

David have been to both this past April and enjoyed both very much!

What keeps me going back to Dreams LaRomana is the snorkeling right out in front of the beach!

If snorkeling is a big part of your vacation than I would suggest Dreams LaRoman 4 SURE!

For me its worth the ride and in fact I find the ride very interesting.

Hope this helps you a bit...

Would be happy to answer questions on either resort.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Thanks for fast reply

I love snorkeling so Dreams would be perfect then but what puts my partner off Dreams is that we read it has a small beach and there is a busy public beach right next door, whats your view on this? do you notice and is the beach that small?

My partner likes Now because of the pictures the room, hotel and beach look better, BUT the reviews suggest the food ain't the best, what your opinion on that?

Which hotel is better value for money? They are the same price.

Regards

David

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

The Beach at Dreams LaRomana is intimate and private. They have a guard posted at the property line so only guests come on to the beach at Dreams LaRomana.

You can walk past the guards and go on to the public beach and walk into the little fishing village of Bayahibe which is a fun walk and an enjoyable way to see a bit of the real live of t he area.

NOW Larimar is a new construction and its beach is one of the nicest in the Bavaro area.

I would say that if snorkeling isn't high on your list that perhaps NOW might be one to look at at more closely....I enjoyed my meals at both resorts and would recommend either one with out thinking twice.

I have pictures here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/baltobabe

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

All your pics are nice and you seem very well travelled, is any of the resorts better for children? And which is best for excisions?

Regards

David

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Hi there David!

Both the NOW and DREAMS Brands are great resorts for Children!

Each have great kids clubs called the Exploreres Club! So that would be a toss up!

There are great excursions availabe also in both Punta Cana and in LaRomana.

amstardmc.com/dominican_republic/index.php

Link above will take you to where you can explore both areas to see what type of tours ae offered.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Hi! I'm having the same problem!! The food reviews have put me off and was thinkin of changing to Dreams La Romana but I've spoke to my travel operator who has advised me to hang fire and stick with now larimar as the hotel management will read the negative reviews and will improve!!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Yeah the Now Larimar is a better looking hotel and I'm told by my operator that Dreams own the Now Larimar and that people who work in the tour oprators have just come back and said the food is stunning.

I tend to think they are a bit one sided.

David

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Dreams does NOT OWN NOW Larimar.

What has happened is the owners of NH Real and Royal Beach decided they wanted AMResorts to partner with them and to sell the rooms at these 2 hotels under the NOW and SECRETS Brands.

The 2 resorts NOW Larimar and Secrets Royal Beach still have the same owners and managers they had when they were NH Real Arena and NH Royal Beach.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

Just a little comment about the busy beach beside Dreams La Romana resort.

The public beach is most of the time empty, the only time it gets very busy is the Easter week and Christmas.

Other times of the year is usually empty, only on weekends some people come from the capital city or close by areas.

Probably the beach in Bayahibe (Dreams La Romana) is smaller. If you like beach walks you can go to the village and back, 10 minutes from the resort to Bayahibe. A nice beach walk around the bay, beautiful specially in the morning, when is so quiet or at the end of the day, to watch the sun go down to the Caribbean sea.

Happy travel

Denise

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams La Romana vs Now Larimar

I have been to Dreams in November 2010. One of our main requirements was snorkeling, and even though a hurricane had just moved through the area, the snorkeling was decent.

The beach was somewhat crowded, but 95% of the people were other resort guests. It seems to me that "crowded" is a subjective term. I define it by available beach chairs, and we always found a few. But there is a guard at the property line 24 hours a day; we got surprised at about 1am. Too far away to speak to them, but they were watching. On the weekend the locals use the beach between the town and resort, but compared to resort population, there were only a few. In my opinion, this enhanced the experience, far from being a problem.

Calling it a small beach is also subjective. I wouldn't say it was small. We started referring to areas of the beach. Near the Jungle restaurant, or the fruit boat, or the bar area, etc. The ocean side of the property is about 50% beach, and that portion had to be well in excess of 100 meters.

We had a great time walking to Bayahibe along the beach. We got most of the trinkets we bring home for others at the shopping area in town. Spent half a day there, twice!

This was our first trip to a Dreams, and we will seek them out in other areas as well as return to this one. I was impressed by the whole experience, staff, food, entertainment, beach, room; I can find nothing to complain about.