We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntertown, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Does anyone know what the approximate cab fare would be from the airport in Santo Domingo to the city of La Romana? I am flying in to Santo Domingo and am staying in La Romana. I have heard that it is anywhere from 1 hour 2 hours but I don't know what the average fare would be (in American Dollars if possible). Thanks for any input.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

It takes about hour and half from the Santo Domingo Airport to the resorts in Bayahibe (including Dreams La Romana) and it is 100 USD one way. So if you are going to the city of La Romana, it will take about an hour (depending on the time of the day, the traffic and the exact location in La Romana) and the price would be around 80 USD one way. That is my guess only.

Happy travel

Denise

Huntertown, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Thanks. I have also heard that there is a tourist bus that travels from Santo Domingo to La Romana and stops along the way at several locations for shopping and stuff. I have heard that this is pretty cheap (like 10-40 USD). Have you heard anything about this tour bus and if it is a reliable way to travel to another city? Thanks again for your response :)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

There is a bus between Santo Domingo and La Romana, it goes few times a day, probably every day of the week (probably weekends are different), but it is not going from the airport, and I don't think it stops for shopping anywhere. You would have to go to Santo Domingo city, which is about 30 minutes west from the airport, and you would go back towards east to La Romana. Unless you want to take a taxi from the airport to the main road, and get on the bus there.

But unless you have been traveling in countries like DR and speak a bit Spanish, I wouldn't recommend it too much.

The bus from Santo Domingo to La Romana is safe, but take a sweater or light jacket with you, their A/C is set for very low.

Sorry, I haven't heard about any tourist bus going between cities and stopping for shopping as you said above.

Denise

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

When you say you're staying at La Romana, which hotel is it ?

Most of the hotels are actually at Bayahibe / Dominicus area.

There are Guaguas which run into La Romana..Just check with the driver where you need to go to get the return.

Guaguas are great fun and really cheap and I think I'm right in saying that they stop fairly close to one of the large Hypermarket type shops, which usually carry most items..

Denise will know the one I mean..Lol :-)

Alternatively the hotels might offer day trips...

Happy Hols

Sparky

Edited: 05 June 2011, 21:28
Huntertown, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

I don't know the address of where we are staying, but it's my sister-in-law's uncle's house. He lives in a gated community style complex on the beach. We will be staying in Santo Domingo for one night and then getting a ride over to La Romana the next day. Her uncle is sending a driver for us (but not all the way in Santo Domingo) to take us to his house. I know they have other people to pick up from the La Romana Airport and Punta Cana airport that day as well... so we were trying to make it easier by being in the city for the car to pick us up.

I have never been to DR before, but my husband knows some Spanish (he has a lot of Mexican cooks that work for him) and I know a little from college. But, I doubt it's enough, it's probably only basic terms and slang.

Any suggestions, tips, or ideas are greatly appreciated for this trip. We leave in two weeks :)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

OK ,so if you are staying one night in Santo Domingo, take the bus to La Romana, that way the driver can pick you up there. I am guessing you will be in Casa de Campo based on your description (which is about 5 minutes from the city), or Cadaques which is about 25 minute ride. Either would be probably easier for the driver then Santo Domingo.

And then from there, if you feel like it, make a trip to La Romana to do some shopping.

Happy travel

Denise

Huntertown, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Thanks so much Denise! You've been very helpful :)

Des Moines, Iowa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

I need to take this same trip from Las Americas airport to a resort in/near La Romana. Will US dollars work, or will I need to exchange before I get into the cab?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Taxi rates are posted in USD at SDQ. A big sign on your right. You can pay in USD or Pesos.

Des Moines, Iowa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cab Fare from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Thank you!