We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Hello all, I was hoping you could help me out on this one. This will be my 4th time back to DR and my girlfriends 1st time. I remember staying at the BE LIVE about 6 years ago when it was under the name Coral Canoa by Hilton. But I am now skeptical of going there because of the reviews I've read on the site. Price difference between the two is about USD 1000. And I've read some great things about the Dreams Resort as well. Hope you guys can help us out on this. We will be looking to snorkel/dive, motor water-sports, 4 wheel excursions and such.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

If you are concerned only about excursions, you can go to any from either resort. They are only 10 minutes apart and the tour operators work in both of them. So that is not an issue. You can also search on line and book your activities directly before you even get to the resort.

We had many clients staying at Be live Canoa) (it was also named Oasis Canoa before the current name) and they never complained about the resort. Most of them spent the days out, doing all sorts of activities, going the hotel just to shower, eat and sleep :) And they said that food and service was good.

Happy travel

Denise

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Thanks!

Anyone else have thoughts on the two, we will be looking to stay away from the noisy crowds. Which is why we were leaning towards the Dream Hotel for the Preferred Club as it offers the WiFi and separate lounge and pool. We are both in our early-mind twenties and work hasnt allowed a vacation for either of us for years!

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

I've only got experience of Dreams La Romana, I stayed there last June and going again in 3 sleeps :-)

I stayed in preferred club and I am doing the same again. I have written a personal blog with lots of info on here about Dreams La Romana, Dreams Punta Cana, Preferred club, excursions etc. It might be useful for you...there are photos as well.

http://wp.me/1oi4i

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. I'll be posting live from here when there (11th - 16th). Mainly posting the Dreams La Romana facebook page so you might want to check that out as well.

Hope it helps

Emily

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

The pricepoint of hotels often dictates who visits there. When you have a more affordable property, you often find younger people, college students, parties, and others like that. I've been to both hotels, the Canoa twice and Dreams 15 times. They will both offer a great vacation if you know what the hotel is and if it's what you want.

You will have lots more opportunity at peace and quiet at Dreams, particularly if you go the Preferred Club route. You can get energy and fun and excitement when you want and you can retreat when you want. You can have a bit of that at the Canoa but the peace won't be as great and the fun isn't quite as great.

As Denise said about the excursions, you can get much the same from both resorts. If snorkeling is important to you though, you can get almost the equivalent of a free snorkeling excursion daily if you stay at Dreams. That hotel has the best from-the-beach snorkeling in the country. I have an album of pictures taken over the years at the hotel's reefs posted at outdoors.webshots.com/album/279730537QeaRsf Once in my collection of albums, you can see Saona Island excursions with Seavis Bayahibe, a trip to Catalinita Island, two albums of trips to Catalinita Island, zip lining, walking around Bayahibe and a few albums of Dreams hotel itself. My life has gotten out of control in the last year and I don't have an album of the Canoa yet. http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333

Kaki

Calgary
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Hi there, I was going through the forums since I had posted my own with many questions. I am heading to DR in August and I have no idea what to book for a resort and excurions. My boyfriend and I are quite the lively two and are looking for a resort as lively as us. If you have any feedback that would be awesome. Hope to hear back from you!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Thanks all for your replies. One last question regarding how much money to take. I know it all depends on what I plan to do. Figure 3 days out on excursions and no diving as that can get expensive. We do want to go to the capital and do some 4 wheeling and also eat in local restaurants in Bayahibe. Also bring back home the typical things.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

Here's a ROUGH idea of pricing:

Saona Island excursion $US 60 to $US 85 pp

ATV/quad tour $US 50 pp (2 people sharing) $US 80 pp (one up).

2 person speed boat trips (coastal and/or up a river) $US 105 to $US 130 for 2 people sharing a boat.

Santo Domingo tour from $US 68 pp

Eating in Bayahibe: estimate meals from $US 10 to $US 30 per head. Rum and coke costs $US 2.50 at Barco Bar & Cafecito Cubana and $US 5 at Captain Kidds.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

I also stayed at the Coral Canoa and enjoyed it, it was my 1st trip to the DR. About 2 yrs later stayed at what is now Dreams, Sunscape then. Loved The Drems property and its been upgraded since.

Go with Dreams. Rooms nicer,the beach is nicer and you can walk into Bayahibe from the resort.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 17:40
9. Re: BE LIVE vs Dreams La Romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:19