We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at an All-Inclusive?

Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas at an All-Inclusive?

We're thinking of spending Christmas week at a place like Dreams or Iberostar. (We've been to both, but it's been a while.)

We're shocked by the advertised prices. We used to be able to go for about $1,000 per person (including airfare from Baltimore), but it looks like double that for Christmas week. There would be five or six of us, making a pretty hefty tab.

Presumably, the price is high that week because of high demand, which means everyplace will probably be very crowded.

So, here are my questions: Are the AI's typically very crowded Christmas week? Does it really detract from the experience? Any other suggestions for an AI Christmas holiday that won't cost me as much as a small car?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at an All-Inclusive?

It's true. Christmas and New Year's are two of the most expensive and busiest times of the year.

The crowds are only as bad as February, really, since full is full, except that there may only be two people per room through the busy times of February and March (except spring breakers), but through the holidays it may be more families and fuller rooms.

There are benefits to traveling through that period along with any problems. They really pump up the food and festivities and it's definitely a memory making season. The hotel will go nuts with the decorations and the Santa motifs and the greetings.

While not the same as a Dreams or Iberostar style vacation, you can look into the cheaper local hotels which will still offer the beautiful beaches and water conditions and tours, but with a price saving. The Catalonia Gran Dominicus is much pared back compared to both of these hotels but offers a good vacation, and the Be Live Canoa has the swim up bar, beach, and more restaurants that you'd be familiar with, just a lower grade of service and amenities. The Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach and Palace are two properties with sharing privileges. I prefer the Palace side for the small price increase, but if the price makes that much difference, the Beach will do. The two hotels together provide a crazy big beach. If staying at any of those hotels you can count on returning home having improved your Italian. It's a big part of their population.

For me the biggest problem with traveling then is that I always enjoy the holidays at home. When the anti-climax of January hits, I like having a vacation to look forward to!

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at an All-Inclusive?

The airfare component is driving the price up to your shock point. Christmas fares this year are way up.

3. Re: Christmas at an All-Inclusive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 23:18