We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
111 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Hi-

My husband and I are planning a trip to the DR. We are trying to decide between the La Romana/Bayahibe area or Punta Cana. We are looking for a relaxing vacation but want to leave the resort a couple of times to experience some culture/go itnto town and possible do an excursion. What are the differences between these areas? Which do you prefer? Any information you have would be great.

Thank you!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Bayahibe is the Caribbean side.

HAs nice beaches but not as large and long as in PC

Water usually calmer, very clear and warm.

It has a fishing village, Bayahibe that you can walk around safely. Few shops such as giftshops, a church, Rose of Bayahibe wichi is the national flower, sourrounded by the National East Park for trekking, diving, snorkelling , coral reefs, pirate land wreck, more nature, 3 islands around and very good location to make trips.

Punta Cana is the Atlantic side and has very long beaches.

There are mainly resorts and areas for the personnel. Few"plazas" for shopping but distances are big.

Usually resorts are larger, more people, more night life.

To make trips you will have to take at least 2 hours drive to each place unless is a water activity.

It is a nice place if you don´t want to leave the resort

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
111 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

We decided to go with La Romana, thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Good choice!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Great choice! We have been to Punta Cana and last year we went to Bayahibe and absolutely loved it, we already booked another vacation to the same resort as we went to last year!!! We usually love to try new places all the time, but we think we have found a place we will always love to stay!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
111 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

I am excited and know we made the right decision!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

Jayne...what perfect resort were you at? Looking for next years travel.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

We are going back to Catalonia Gran Dominicus!! We absolutely loved it there!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

yea...that is the one I was looking at. We have previously been to the Cat Yucatan in the Myan Riviera...and love it too... been 5 times! Thanks so much.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

We also stayed at Catalonia Royal Bavaro in Punta Cana - adult only resort and loved that - something just kept calling me to Catalonia Gran Dominicus!!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Romana/Bayahibe vs Punta Cana

So nice to find a place you love...makes it very hard to try something new though. We def need a change of location this year though. Looking for next March but in comparing prices for the mid of this April...I can see that it will not be easy. The Cat Yucatan is by far cheaper then La Romana....sigh, more saving needed...lol