We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee Farm?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee Farm?

Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting the La Romana area at the end of May, 2012. We would love to visit/tour a coffee farm while in the DR, but it seems most of the big places are inland or on the north side of the island.

Any insights to local farms? Are there any tours that include a stop?

Anything else I should consider or be aware of?

Thanks for the help!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee Farm?

None that I know of near La Romana - coffee needs high altitude to grow well, La Romana and surrounding area is not much higher than sea level.

The main crop here is sugar cane - sugar, rum, molases etc. La Romana is home to Central Romana - one of the largest sugar cane refineries on the island. There are plenty of tours offering insight to sugar and rum production.

There's also a cigar factory (although most of the tobacco is grown inland) http://www.laspalmascigar.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee Farm?

Thanks for your reply and your insight into the area. I definitely want to do a tour of the sugar cane plantation/fields. Hopefully, I can still find some green coffee to bring home :)

Edited: 18 April 2012, 19:39
3. Re: Coffee Farm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:16