We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Cities in DR

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 Cities in DR

My husband and I are planning a trip to the DR in October for 6 days and am looking for some advise. We get bored easily and would love to make the most out of our trip and are thinking of doing both Punta Cana and La Romana. Are these places different enough so that we can get a taste of the area? Is there another itinerary that would be better? We love to travel and enjoy anyhting outdoors, whether it is hiking or on the ocean.

Thanks for you help!

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Cities in DR

I think it is a great plan. I would go to the resort near the airport you are flying home from LAST since it is a 1 1/2 hr drive from PC to LRM.

I think there is more to do off-resort in La Romana (not organized tours, more poking around the area stuff)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Cities in DR

You won't see much of the local life in Punta Cana resorts, Bayahibe is the local fishing village about 20 minutes east of La Romana, you can stay at AI or an independent hotel and you will experience more of the local life then in Punta Cana area. There is lots o do in both areas, juts around Bayahibe / Dominicus you will have more choices of excursion companies. I believe in Punta Cana you have to book most of it through tour operators at the resorts.

6 days is not too long to get bored, specially around Bayahibe, you will not have enough time to do / see all :)

Happy travel

Denise

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Cities in DR

OOPS, I read it incorrectly - I thought you meant 6 days each place.

I think a week in Bayahibe is perfect. 3 days is not enough.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Cities in DR

I'm not sure if 6 days is enough but take a look at this link to a company who are offering unique "luxury combined with off the beaten path" packages:

http://caribbeandreamto.com/relaxploration

Level Contributor
52 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Cities in DR

If you are willing to travel further you could visit the Colonial Area of Santo Domingo (has structures that date back to the 1500's and has some of the best restaurants in the city). If you are into shopping there are several up-scale mall in the Piantini neighborhood as well.

New York City
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Cities in DR

I recommend the Damajagua Tours in Puerto Plata but its a bit far...also try the Catamaran rides they are basically everywhere, and the zip lines.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Cities in DR

The Damajagua tour is dangerous with untrained and uncertified staff.

Spending time in La Romana, Bayahibe and a night or two in Santo Domingo would give you a nice experience.

New York City
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Cities in DR

@ RV429 : I hear you(certification) me in my personal experience went and didnt find it dangerous it was lots of fun!! and Bayahibe sounds fun too, in Santo Domingo not really my preference only thing i liked is the colonial area after that is congested for my taste , la Romana hum i dont know, anyway i guess everyone has their own taste. and besides you can fun anywhere in the DR.

9. Re: 2 Cities in DR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:17