We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

We plan to do the half day trip with Bavaro Runners to La Romana and Altos de Chavon during our trip to Dreams la Romana in October. I was thinking about doing this on a Sunday, but was wondering if a weekday might be better as far as crowds, etc. I'm hoping some of the locals can weigh in here. Is there a better time to visit these attractions? We have a whole week, so can schedule it on most any day. Also wondering if this is a big cruise ship destination? We'd also like to avoid those days if possible. Looking to avoid crowds if that might be an issue. Thanks for any advice.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 00:18
Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

We went to Altos de Chavon on a Saturday and it was deserted. Quite a few of the shops were gone - there were more restaurants than shops. I think the charge from Casa de Campo to enter is killing their business.

Picturesque site - lovely. But finished in an hour.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

Thank you dotneko.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

Most of the times I went to Altos were through the river and going upstairs.

Really very few people.

Unless you end up meeting a large groung travelling in a couch, you are likely to be only ones.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

On Tuesdays there are often cruise ships in dock so Altos de Chavon will be busier then.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

thanks for the advice. Does the same apply to La Romana? We are thinking of going on Sunday. Are weekends busier with local traffic, etc?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

@danadan Not noticeably so in La Romana town as most stores are shut. The publlc beaches (Bayahibe and Dominicus) will be much busier at weekends, which also unfortunately means a beach covered in trash :-(

@Bigbite "Unless you end up meeting a large groung travelling in a couch..." Are couches the new form of transport for the worlds' most laziest people? LOL only kidding ;-)

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

YB1 - so Sunday would NOT be the best day for a La Romana shopping trip? We want to go when all the shops are open. Should we do that tour on a weekday for the best shopping opportunities? Also, we plan to head into Dominicus one day for shopping. Are the shops there mostly closed on Sundays also?

I really appreciate your help!

Edited: 15 August 2012, 17:05
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

@danadan On Sunday the big supermarkets are open (Jumbo, Iberia etc) that's where you will find low prices for rum, cigars, coffee etc. but the town market is closed. For sure everything will be open during the week and it doesn't make much difference, crowdwise, which day you go.

In Dominicus the gift shops are open every day and every evening.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

Exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks. :-)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best day to visit La Romana/Altos de Chavon

Lol

I don´t know what I was thinking. I meant coach hahahhahaha