We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
327 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

I know that this question is out there in many shapes and sizes. But I'm looking for some detailed responses concerning the type of ocean at this resort:

1) Can you see your toes while up to your waist in the water?

2) Is there any kind of odor?

3) I have read on some forums that there are jellyfish here? If so, are there many and are they theystinging type?

4) If you have been to the Gran Bahia Principe complex in Punta Cana, how would you compare the ocean water?

5) If, indeed, the ocean is murky, would it cause you not to return?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

Many people are coming back to GBP La Romana because they like the resort and they don't mind the murky water. They spend most of the time by the pool and on the nice beach.

The visibility is different depending on the amount of rain so it's hard to say how it will be when you are there. I haven't heard about the jelly fish.

The sea (Caribbean sea) around GBP La Romana is murky because of the rivers coming in close by, the water around GB Punta Cana is Atlantic Ocean, so that might be more wavy at times.

Denise

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

Based on stay Nov 2012

1. could not see toes at waist level, maybe knee level at best

2. no odor

3. there was not a jelly fish problem, may depend on time of year?

4. My friend stayed in P.C. previous year, the water in P.C. was fantastic very clear and at G.B.P. murky due to river flow

5.I am a ocean swimmer and usually sit on the beach, not by pool, although the water was disappointment (which I knew in advance from the forum) but the beach and palm trees were amazing! I would return to the resort for a quiet vacation, we had a fantastic time by the lovely pool. Also easy access to S.D. what a city!

Hope this helps

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
327 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate it.

4. Re: Murky Ocean at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:19